Time for tranny service.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well Im gonna change my trans oil and transfer case oil. Also puttin in a new filter. I was doin some reading on this subject and see you can buy a bigger trans oil pan and upgrade the trans oil cooler. Where is a good place to buy this stuff. I do tow with this truck but not all the time. Im the type that believes, "Better safe than sorry". Plus since Im draining the WHOLE system want to go ahead and get all this done. My fluid still looks good but Ive put over 30k on it since I've owned it. I did find out it does have a reman trans in it. Im not having any probs with this trans or anything and I do have a trans temp guage to keep an eye on it. What oil is everyone using? The truck has ALWAYS used motorcraft stuff and im thinkin i should just stick with that but dont know if there is somethin else I should use. Any insight on this subject is welcome. Thanks!

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the trans cooler, look for one for a 6.0. Over twice the size and bolts right up. Will need adapters for the difference in the trans lines.

A lot of people do not like the deeper pans. Most popular reason is it is just more fluid to warm up and cool off.

As for fluid, I still prefer the original line from Ford for the early superduties; Mercon only, not Mercon V. I personally use Amsoil Torque-Drive fluid.

I am sure others will chime in and everyone here has good advice.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thats true about the oil pan. Some hold like 5 more qts I think? Does someone make one that is the same size but is aluminum and ribbed? I installed the rear end cover from the 08 and up superduties cause its better for cooling. I agree with using the original ford stuff. Nothin wrong with it. I thought these transmissions took mercon 5?? Are any of the mercon fluids from ford full synthetic??

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what dboyw said, and if it's got Motorcraft oil in it I would stay with it.
Doug

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I thought these transmissions took mercon 5?? Are any of the mercon fluids from ford full synthetic??

You can use any Mercon or Mercon V rated fluid. Mercon V replaced Mercon a few years ago. ;tu

Molbil 1 and Valvoline Max life or both good fluids to use.:D

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
X2 on what dboyw said, and if it's got Motorcraft oil in it I would stay with it.
Doug

Thanks Doug for the insight on this. I agree with ya, stick to what is in the truck. Its got over 277k on it now and I personally only had to replace one sensor on the engine. Other than that been an awesome truck. Didnt know if there was some "miracle" oil out there that helps alot. I priced royal purple and OMG! it was like $16 a qt! I priced mobil 1 and it was over $120 to do my trans and transfer case. I would assume motorcraft would be cheaper than all these?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
You can use any Mercon or Mercon V rated fluid. Mercon V replaced Mercon a few years ago. ;tu

Molbil 1 and Valvoline Max life or both good fluids to use.:D

Thanks for the info Track! This whole mercon thing has confused me from what ive read. Some say no dont use mercon 5 then others say its ok. Thanks for clarifying it for me. Mobil is what I probably would've used if I had to pick another brand. $9 a qt isnt bad at all.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good oil is not cheap anymore. Brians Truck Shop
I know this man and he only uses Schaeffer's oil in his rebuild transmissions,
so when it was time to change my transmission I put in Schaeffer and have stayed with it.
Shock time. Wow, it is now 13 or 14 bucks a qt.but I stayed with it and will use it the next time
I change.
Doug

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, a few years ago you could NOT use mercV but after so many complants about they re-did the mercV to be accepted into the older merc transmissions. So now its cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58