Time for tranny work

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've known sooner or later it would be time....it's time. I have a tranny leak, several drops after stopping every day. I suppose it's the gasket (much of the housing has oil on it). When I put in reverse after start I hear a slight noise of some sort and sounds like the engine speed changes slightly and briefly, like a surge in a line or something. When I lean on it I think it is probably slipping a bit (but not sure of that). I have 160k+ on it...never chipped. Just big intake and big exhaust.

So after I open it up and resolve the leak...should I:
1. swap the torque converter, and if yes, to what?
2. do any valve body stuff?
3. change the pan so I can drain it w/o removing?
4. any other suggestions -- remember, I'm not made outa money but not a complete cheapskate either.

This is a daily driver, occasional moderate towing but mostly not. But while I have it opened up I might's well fix it up.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you; checked the tranny oil level? smelled the tranny oil, does it have a burnt smell? I am guessing the tranny is low on fluid and it is sucking air (in the pump) and that is what you are hearing. The slipping maybe due to low fluid also. I would change the tranny fluid and drive it. This is the cheapest way to check the tranny out. If the problems continue then you can fix it. Good luck.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rich... @160K it might be time to do a tranny rebuild but.. try a dose of TRANS-X in it first.. while you come up with a Game Plan on what all to do ?

You can get the Trans-X at most any parts place.. Auto Zone, NAPA and the like. Works real good IMO at stopping leaks and other issues.

What Dave said too ?

Joe

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
4R100 has a drain plug. Unless somebody replaced it with the E4OD 4x4 pan.

Take a look at the magnet. If it looks like a metallic Chia Pet. The tranny is almost done. If its a bit fuzzy. Instal a new filter and drive it.

You could throw a TransGo HD-2 kit while you are getting covered in tranny fluid. Thats if there isn't anything nasty in the tranny pan.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
My bad, there is a drain plug of course--I confused myself with the differential cover (senior moment!).

This leak is coming off the bell housing in front of the pan and since it sets higher than the pan I'd say the leak is "up there somewhere". Yes, sure I am monitoring fluid level...the tranny fluid level is ok on the dipstick. It was replaced last summer and still looks new to me. Doesn't smell burnt. The drip is just a few drops (slick the size of half a dollar bill) after shutoff (-- my power steering pump is a different story!). TransX eh, will give it a try...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. Trans-X. I've had some Real Good luck with it. PS pumps too ?

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
pull the dust shield off the TC...sometimes there's a drain plug on the TC as well. Maybe thats leaking?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The famous leaking pump seal. E4 and 4R's are known for that.

Check the pump bushing when you replace the seal. Excessive wear will kill the seal. Always use a Viton seal when you replace this. If you use the Ford seal, you will be doing it again.
Precision #16601EV is a good seal. You can get it at any good parts store.;tu

While you have the tranny out, you might want to consider a TransGo Tugger kit. This is a couple steps up from the HD-2.:thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58