timing cover removal......

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing the timing cover to repair a coolant leak at the cooler neck..

Eng is out and on a stand, pan {:eek: WHAT A BARSTAGE!} + pick tube removed as well as damper and oil pump.

The small plate cover to what appears to be the HPOP drive bolt is off.............thats where I'm at.

The HPOP appears to be bolted to the back of the timing cover....do those bolts come out as well as the drive bolt----then the timing cover:confused: :confused:

:sorry About my first post asking for help but I' a little unsure of removal.

:thanks: and :cheers:
GEO

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Geo,

I assume you have seen all of Riches work that he has documented in this thread?

But if I understand your question correctly, yes...you want to pull the HPOP off the back of the timing cover. Ive never done this before, so my description of the procedure may be skewed a little. But, pop the cover off the top of the reservoir, remove the gear from the HPOP shaft, then unbolt hte HPOP and take it out the back and then you are ready for front cover removal.... 4 bolts?? on the front cover?

Rich is the guy for this, he's had his front cover off just recently as have Luke and Terry. Hopefully one of them will drop in here and offer up some words of wisdom. Be patient, it is Saturday.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Ya gotta remove the bolt that holds the HPOP drive gear on. It is behind that small inspection plate on the cover.
Rick H...

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
remove the bolt for the HPOP gear,its 18MM.remove the 2 bolts that hold the HPOP to the cover,10MM.remove reservoir,13MM.pull gear out.no need to worry about lineing up timing marks as the gear has non just put it back in any way.

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Geo,

I assume you have seen all of Riches work that he has documented in this thread?

Ya know what they say about assuming Mike:eek: :p :D

I have been following Rich's thread, even tho my '96 doesn't have those PIA drainback issues:hail

Just venturing in new territory :thumbs

So ....what is the sender about 10 o'clock in the timing cover.....whutzitdo:confused:

94f450sd said:
remove the bolt for the HPOP gear,its 18MM.remove the 2 bolts that hold the HPOP to the cover,10MM.remove reservoir,13MM.pull gear out.no need to worry about lineing up timing marks as the gear has non just put it back in any way.

:thanks Rich and rickh

Cover is off and I'll get a pic of the fissure crack and post once I've had WW's homemade biskits and gravy w/ eggs and home taters and sliced 'maters:D

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
geonc said:
So ....what is the sender about 10 o'clock in the timing cover.....whutzitdo:confused:

Cover is off and I'll get a pic of the fissure crack and post once I've had WW's homemade biskits and gravy w/ eggs and home taters and sliced 'maters:D

no idea what that sensor is or does.:confused: :sorry

but man the biskits,gravy/eggs with taters sounds good.ill have mine without the maters please :thanks

BlueMule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:

It's another water temp sending unit. Yes, we have two of them. One for the guage in the dash and the other one lights an idiot light next to the WTS light. It lights the light when the H2O temp reaches 247º

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14