timing cover removal......

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Now for some odd things I found!

I was under the impression that just an "O" ring type gasket was used on the timing cover to block.

I couldn't tell just how intact it was because it did tear when I pulled the cover away from the block.

And the fuel lines on the left side do not show a smooth radius.....more like they possibly have been moved :dunno

I found what appears to be a silicone type schmutz {for lack of a better word} in different places around the cover-block side and HPOP access cover....in addition to the seal ring........evidence of prior repair:confused:

Or is this just std practice from the factory:rolleyes:

:thanks fer the help! :cheers:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
that silicone type stuff is the gray RTV from hell.it may have been sealed with RTV from the factory.but its supposed to have an Oring type seal.the gasket set for the cover is around $100.00 from fordthe HPOP cover is sealed with RTV from the factory

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I gotta stupid question......................

What caused the crack?

Truth be told, I was expecting to see damage from using CAT ELC.........

........or so I and many others have been led to believe that one of things ELC damages is the alloy coolant necks:rolleyes: .....
The yellow fuzzies you see are from washing the housing down with Purple Stuff!

Not the case here as shown in the pics:thumbs ...just a fissure crack plain and simple......TO a POINT:confused:

Remember when my SB clutch took a dump?

Peter from SB asked me to check certian things that would cause harmonic vibrations that were the root cause of the clutch spring/window and pilot shaft brg failure.........

OR....is this another vibration damage from when the orig DMFW destroyed itself and broke the tranny hsg:eek:

It took removing and re-building then installing the oil cooler to show itself:confused: :confused: :confused: :dunno

-popcorn

Last edited:

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
that silicone type stuff is the gray RTV from hell.it may have been sealed with RTV from the factory.but its supposed to have an Oring type seal.the gasket set for the cover is around $100.00 from fordthe HPOP cover is sealed with RTV from the factory

:dunno seems weird the fact would use "some" RVT along with the O ring designed to fill the groove:confused:

I take it you are referring to the drive bolt cover.....not the resivour;)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
yup the drive bolt cover,the reservoir on yours should have a full Oring gasket.

check your other thread on here i posted what is included in the timing cover seal kit and the part number for it

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
geonc said:
OR....is this another vibration damage from when the orig DMFW destroyed itself and broke the tranny hsg
Thats what I was thinking but................... I've never heard of a front cover cracking before?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Thats what I was thinking but................... I've never heard of a front cover cracking before?

me either but what im think is that somebody at some point somebody replaced the oil cooler Orings with the front cooler header still bolted to the cover.

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
me either but what im think is that somebody at some point somebody replaced the oil cooler Orings with the front cooler header still bolted to the cover.

Possible ........BUT that type of stress crack would not be in the middle....more towards the end at the weak point from milling the alloy casting......no?

Then again, this crack seems to start at the end of the upper bolt........it came apart real easy like!

Yea....I'm not overly impressed with that design on the PSD......The IDI on the other hand:hail :thumbs

I suppose the one good thing about the PSD set up is when you get the rear header loosely bolted in place, you have enough room to slide the front gskt inalong with some wiggle room to align the bolts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14