Tire and Wheel questions on an 00 Excursion

E99F250SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well - the 295s did not work - ordered a set of BFG 295X75X16 ATOs and they rubbed big time with the stock wheel. The height was good but apparently for me to get them to work I would need to change the wheel and go with something with less back spacing and/or negative offset (if I understand those correctly - I will need to push the wheel out so that the inside/back of the tire/wheel sits further away from the springs.

Any recommendations as to what I should be looking at in wheel specs to be able to get the 295s to fit without rubbing?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well - the 295s did not work - ordered a set of BFG 295X75X16 ATOs and they rubbed big time with the stock wheel. The height was good but apparently for me to get them to work I would need to change the wheel and go with something with less back spacing and/or negative offset (if I understand those correctly - I will need to push the wheel out so that the inside/back of the tire/wheel sits further away from the springs.

Any recommendations as to what I should be looking at in wheel specs to be able to get the 295s to fit without rubbing?

you're talking a tire that's nearly 2" taller then stock..
yes, it is the height that's causing your problems..

If I remember, I'll run my plus sizer when I get to work.. I'll get back to you this evening.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the width as well. A stock is 265 wide and his are 295. Even a 285 is close. Stock back spacing is 4.25 in, if you go with an aftermarket wheel with a 5.25 inch back spacing you won't rub on the leaf spring.
I would consult a tire/wheel shop just in case though.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

E99F250SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you're talking a tire that's nearly 2" taller then stock..
yes, it is the height that's causing your problems..

If I remember, I'll run my plus sizer when I get to work.. I'll get back to you this evening.

From a height perspecitve I am good. I am hitting the leaf springs at full steering lock.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, go with a wheel that sits out a bit farther. A buddy of mine is clearing 35s on a stock suspension excursion.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

E99F250SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just to keep folks up to speed on my saga - I test mounted the BFG ATOs in 285 and they rubbed at full lock - :-( so am going to have to do a new wheel. Best I can figure is the the stock Ex wheel is a 7" with 4.5 backspacing and 0 offset.

According to the tire shop I have been working with (and they have been great through all this!) they recommend an 8" wheel for either the 285 or 295 so am looking at the Dick Cepek DC2 in 16X8. This wheel boasts 4" back spacing and -47mm offset so am hoping to get the 295s on there without rubbing. stay tuned!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58