Tire Balancing question on custom wheels

calbullet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bill.. I have similar wheels on my F350 Alcoa 16x8. if they use stick-on weights, check them after a few miles, On my fronts, the calipers and the weights didn't like each other, tore them off and spit them out. I have stick-on on the inside closest to the outer lip, keeps a clean look, and clip-on on the inside lip.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a racing trick is to put some DUC Tape over the Stick on weights...itll
help hold 'em on too...

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Mickey thompson classic II's and the balancing is all in the tires how well they are made but when I got mine I just told the tire guy to balance it all off the back worked great for me but I also only needed one little weight for each tire

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Bill,
I would highly recommend the equal. Had it put in my new alcoa's (same as you,didn't want the weights on the nice wheels), I have never had a smoother riding set of wheels, especially on a truck. Just make sure they put the filtered valve cores in so the beads don't get in the valve stem and cause a leak.
My tire shop charged the same for equal as a spin balance- $10 a tire. It was a no- brainer for me.:sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Does most tire shops do the equal type balancing or is it just a select few? Sounds interesting enough to inquire with Discount over.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
we have a whammy-jammy Hunter GSP9000 balancer, and it does matchmounts as it balances... eliminated 90+ % of all the tires we had to send back for ride disturbance complaints...

I know no-one likes weights (even the nylon coated ones) on the outside lip of the wheel, but it's a LOT easier for us tire guys to keep you rolling down the road without shaking the fizz out of your Pepsi... one guy that comes into our place has these things called "Balance Masters" on the hubs of his Dodge... some kind of lead shot or sand in a viscous fluid; supposed to not even need wheelweights (those bead-type things, like Equal, tear the living HECK out of a tire liner)... we did the matchmount & two-plane balance gig on his new Silent Armors, left the Balance Masters on, and he came back an hour later and damn near kissed us, it rode so smooth...

Oh, by the way... tires need to be RE-balanced because they walk around the wheel... if you don't belive me, make a chalk mark on your wheel and on the sidewall... at the next rotation cycle, the marks will be separated... our new bead construction helps lessen this...

Last edited:

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Equal when I first mounted the 285s. Didn't work. Added more Equal. Didn't work. Pulled the tires -cleaned out the Equal and mounted Centramatics. Night and day difference! Very happy. Well worth the $200 an axle!

'57turbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
weights

I would request that the installer use the stick on wheel wheights.
That is what I have always used on all of my aluminium wheels.

snonut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I always take weights off wheels an have rebalanced to inside clipons only. If you have a good tire balancing machine you have no problems

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The woblle/shimmy got so bad between Dallas and Phoenix that I had the BFG's pulled and replaced with Michelins.

The new tires take up to 2 ounces each and they are a dream on the highway:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58