Tire Build Dates

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Info to Some.. New News to Others:

On All tires, there is Build Date. It's 4 numbers, stamped/molded onto the sidewall, usually in an oblong shaped frame, close to the Bead.

The first 2 numbers are the Build WEEK.. the second 2 are the YEAR. Example: 3296= 32nd week of 1996.

The Reason I bring this up is......

I just had an Alignment and 2 new tires mounted on the front of my 2K, for our 3-4 month trip. The current tires were 3 years old and OK, but OK wasn't good enough. I picked the best of the 2 and had it mounted as my spare.. to replace the 8 year old OEM spare, that's never been on the ground. (Tires get OLD too)

When the tire guy broke the OEM one down.... I looked at the Build Date :eek::eek: That Tire was build in the 32nd week of 1996 :eek::eek: That means... That Tire... (Firestone..zat say anything :innocent) was 4 years old when FORD put it on the Truck.. at the plant, in March of 2000. Additional math sez my spare waz 12+ years old. Not Good Carma.

My (30 years with him) Tire store owner* said: Thats what you need to look for Joe, when you see tires at unbelievably LOW prices. He also gathered his workers 'round to show them the 4 year old, when the truck was new, tire.

Scarey.

Just thought I'd pass it on Guyz'n Galz. Check the Build Date.. when you buy tires.

* He never Advertizes or has a Tire Sale.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article /video on just that topic.

ABC News

I've known about the build code for years.. But now, by that Video.. I'm even more aware.

Again.....we NEED to Check the build dates when buying tires. It's UNDER 2 years old for me from now on.

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
Its actually a good tool to have when you are purchasing a used vehicle with low mileage. Although the tires appear to be in good shape they may not be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58