Tire Decision

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going this week to get some new tires. I already know I am going to purchase the Michelin LTX M/S's. Here is where my problem arises, I just assumed I was going to go with the load range E tires. I wanted to go to a slightly larger than stock tire, 285 75 16. That is only available in load range D. Looking at the specs the 265 75 16 in load range E has a max load of 3415 lbs per tire at 80 PSI. The 285 75 16's in load range D have a max load of 3305 lbs per tire at 65 PSI.
Considering I am only losing 110 pounds of max weight per tire and its set at lower PSI and lower load range, will that equate to a smoother ride? What about tread life. Will the stiffer compound of the load range E's give me a significant increase in tread life?
I may tow a light trailer (4000 pounds or less) a couple times a month, I will plow snow next year so it will have quite a bit of weight from the plow in the front along with ballast in the back. Once or twice a year I may tow a tag along short distances (less than 20 miles) with a John Deere Backhoe on it.

Just want to hear what other have to say about the situation before I plunk down the dough.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many Ply's do these Mechelin's have Kevin ?

It's what yer going to Do [Overall] with a set of tires... Construction = Durability...

JMO but I wouldn't put anything less than a 10 Ply on these trucks. Anything less, reduces yer capabilities. Namely, the Plowing and towing the Backhoe ?

Joe

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, I believe the industry standard is 10 ply for E's and 8 ply for D's
From what I have seen in my research, besides the small difference 110 pound max weight difference is the amount of air pressure you can put in the tire. The max amount of air you can put in a 8 ply is 60 - 65 PSI and the max in a 10 ply is 80 PSI. My educated guess says that even though the max weight difference is small, the load range E's with more plys and higher pressure would be a more stable ride while towing even a moderately heavy load, like a backhoe or a snow plow.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I'd stick with "E" rated, 10 plys.

A good set of Shocks (Bilsteins :innocent) can do wunders for the Ride.. along with other suspension up-grades.. Like Velvet Ride bushings and the like ?

I'm just not one to "Take Away" anything, for the sake of anything.

But also..yer 4WD, I'm 2WD and more into a "Road" tire.. for Towing a goodly amount of weight..... so I'm prolly not the one to be say'n much :lmao... maybe some of the FWD, snow plow guys will jump in on this ?

Last edited:

Bill Rudell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
tires

firestone makes a 285-75-16 in 10 ply.
I put them on about 4 months ago and with 7000 plus on them they look ok so far.
I have had cooper and bfg in 8 ply and they both were out of safe tread within 25000 miles.
being a contractor I tend to carry a lot of weight and then I also pull a Heavy 5th wheel.
We shall see how well these Firestones hold up

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Stick with the Load Range E tires. You're going to be asking a lot of the tires when you are carrying the snow plow around. Additionally the lower air pressure in a max inflated "D" tire is going to equate to more heat than a max inflated "E" tire, especially during the summer months when you'll probably drag that tractor around more often and this can ultimately lead to tire failure from heat build up. Yes tire life will suffer too in the form of faster wear. Also on top of a softer tire construction and lower maximum inflated air pressure the increase in size on the stock rims will cause more sidewall bulge and further soften the ride of the truck, all things that come into play when you are dragging around a trailer or adding all that weight to the front of the truck in the form of the snow plow.

Me personally, I would stick with the factory size tires in whatever brand you prefer. I feel the bigger tires just make you start chasing yourself in the form of fuel economy, gearing, brake life, susupension wear, steering stresses, and handling. To me it's just not worth it, but it's just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I had pretty much made up my mind to stick with the E's in the stock size.
I just wanted a little big bigger tire to fill the wheel well a little more but its not worth the trade off.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
As already stated, stick with the load range E tires. I don't pull or haul with a trailer anymore, but like having the tires if I ever do again.

My Cooper Discoverer's will be in on Thursday and will soon be ordering some Bilstein's from eshocks when the money is available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58