Tire Pressures ?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it being in the 20's at night, 40's during the day.. Wife said she had a "Low Tire Pressure" Warning on the Tracker.. Checked all 4 on It, and the 6 on the truck.. found them ALL to be 4 to 8 pounds low :eek:

Something to think about ??

:dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yep.
spend about half my day for the last week topping off air in people's tires as it was in the 50's last week, and I don't think it crawled much above about 10 today...

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Tires always mysteriously "lose" air in the colder temps. There's a jury out on whether it is the same air, just colder, thus less expansion. Or whether it actually leaks out somewhere. I have to go around to all the trailer tires(which have steel wheels), in the fall, and tighten all the valve stems/caps or my tires start to leak. Once I do that, they're good for the winter. My thoughts are, that we get both problems, just like everything else in the cold, low temps bring out all the gremlins. Just remember to fill them when they're cold, and check them often!

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a basic explanation:
(P1*V1)/T1=(P2*V2)/T2
P=pressure, V=volume(basically the same,small change, negligible), T=temperature
1 is those before and 2 is pressure after.

Example:leaving volume constant
(100psi*1cubic foot(just for example))/100 deg=1
so say it is 50 deg outside you would have to have this
(50psi*1cubic foot)/50 deg=1

Not exact but this puts ball parks on it with out getting all complicated.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we had the '04 Expedition, the tire sensors would show "Low Pressure Warning" when the temps were below freezing, even with the recommended air pressure. I think they are sensitive to the cold weather.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
NITROGEN.........
honestly since i put it in the tires a couple of years ago, i get them check everytime before i rotate tires and they have only dropped 1-2 if at all....

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NITROGEN.........
honestly since i put it in the tires a couple of years ago, i get them check everytime before i rotate tires and they have only dropped 1-2 if at all....

I've never used nitrogen, but I've also heard that tires with nitrogen don't lose their pressure.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
nitrogen is a larger molecule, so porosity loses are less..
but that does not mean ignore them..
check you pressures monthly, at minimum...

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
I've never used nitrogen, but I've also heard that tires with nitrogen don't lose their pressure.

correct!!!

but yes, you should check them (if you prefer) but as i said - not much loss in a couple of years....

i have no complaints....run nitro in the van tires too....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58