Tire pressures

02EX_PSD

Not as Junior of a Member
Reaction score
I went to Discount Tire to have my tires balanced and rotated. When the tech presented my vehicle to me I asked him where he set my tire pressures. He said "60#'s all around." I have 285 BFG A/T KO's on the truck but I always set them at the factory 45 front and 55 rear. The tire tech told me that my tires would wear better at 60# but it may ride a little rough. I told him that I would give it a try. I noticed that the steering resistance is lower and that it rode slightly rougher and also had more tire noise. Any comments, suggestions, or experiences you would like to share about this:dunno ?
Thanks!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I usually run between 60-65. When hauling a large load I have been up to 80.

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
02EX_PSD said:
I went to Discount Tire to have my tires balanced and rotated. When the tech presented my vehicle to me I asked him where he set my tire pressures. He said "60#'s all around." I have 285 BFG A/T KO's on the truck but I always set them at the factory 45 front and 55 rear. The tire tech told me that my tires would wear better at 60# but it may ride a little rough. I told him that I would give it a try. I noticed that the steering resistance is lower and that it rode slightly rougher and also had more tire noise. Any comments, suggestions, or experiences you would like to share about this:dunno ?
Thanks!

The front tire pressure needs to be at the factory recommended psi (door jam sticker) because of the weight of the engine. Rears are a bit more flexible depending on the weight of your load. I put 45 psi when unloaded and bump them up to the max rating on the sidewall when loaded. Under inflation will cause wear on the outsides and over inflation will wear the middle.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I have found over the last 7 years and 4 or 5 sets of tires, the best for day to day driving is summertime: low 40's, wintertime: upper 40's. Anything more than that causes excessive center treadwear. Normally I put about 2 psi more in the front vs rear because the difference in axle weights. If I'm towing I'll put equal pressure Fr & Rr. I usually run slightly higher pressures in winter because it helps with traction.

What I also do when setting tire pressures for winter time, is to park the truck on clean, level concrete and measure the distance from the edge of the rim to the ground. I then adjust the tire pressures so that measured distance is the same all around. This makes sure all the tires have the same rolling radius and minimizes driveline binding when 4wd is engaged. I find it works very well. :thumbs :sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've got the same tires on our Excursion and keep the psi in the 65-70 range as they handle and ride best in that window.

Discount in Plano(East Central Xpressway) also maintains the psi the same for us when we go in for balance/rotations:sweet

Reaction score
I on the other hand normally keep mine within 5 psi of max. I can be empty in the morning - loaded a few hours later and then empty again. Or I could be towing 10 to 12 K at any given time of the day. I really don't have time to be adjusting tire pressure up and down.

Ron

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have the same tire and same size. I also keep it at exactly 60 and have even tread wear. However, I also bought at Discount and got that measurement from them. I have not had excess center wear that would be an indicator of over-inflation.

On another note - I wont do business with Discount anymore due to my strong suspicion of fraudulent business practices. At least in the Lubbock location.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rerely put them @ the max pressure on the sidewall because that's there just to give the rated load factors...
(and ride REALLY hard IMHO :) )

I always use the chalk test whenever the conditions change like new loads - towing - etc....

Always puts my tires with the correct contact patch...

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running 75/75 psi to correct previous front underinflation and find the right pressure for the new duals. The previous owner was running 42 in the steers and grrrr-animals pressures in the pulls....the latter ones were pitiful and immediately replaced when I bought the truck in mid-November.

Though duallies have been my thing, this is my first diesel and I'm in a lot of uncharted water. At first it was scary but it's now an altogether exciting and pleasant adventure.

Normally with LT/Es, I run 55/65 all the time and hauling up to 9K with a tag trailer. Over that or with a goose or 5-er I air up to 75-80 psi. My truck is very sweet to drive aired at 75/75 psi without a load.:D

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good rule of thumb as to how much a lesser tire pressure affects mileage? I dropped down to the manufacturer suggested 50/55 and mileage has sucked on road trips. I can't see colder weather affecting the mileage on the road once the truck is warmed up, etc.:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14