Tire Question please help

RipperF350

RipperF350
Reaction score
Anyone,

I have a 2005 4x4 dually F-350 with 17x6 inch rims. I just bought a 5 inch Explorer Pro Comp lift kit for get this $300 what a steal but anyways I want to put bigger tires on but i don't want to get new rims if i can get around it. I really want to use 315/70 R17 but all the tire shops tell me i need a rim that is atleast a 8.5 inches has anyone put this size tire on a stock dually rim I know i'll need spacers but the tire shops have me worried about the bead coming off. If you think this is a bad idea let me know and any suggestions would be great i'm trying to stay with around a 35 inch tire i don't care what width is as long as i can run them on my stock wheels if not where can i get over sized rims all the ones i've found are still 17x6

Thanks, AJ

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
No way in hell is it safe to put that size tire on a 6" rim, best you'll probably do is 265 - 275, maybe 285, but I think you'd be pushin the limits there.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen 285 on stock rims. The tires still might look a little small after the lift is on. My advice would be to leave the lift kit in the garage until you get some cash and fork it over for some rims so you can fit 35/12.50 under the truck. It will look alot better with some rubber that will fill up the wheel wells.

Does it have the rear leaf spring drop brackets or just blocks? I would invest in traction bars for sure if you only have lift blocks for the rear. You don't want any axle wrap going on down there. The bigger tires will cause axle wrap on top of what will already be created from the lift alone. The leaf spring drop brackets just lower the springs and it would seem that you would much if any axle wrap from that. Besides that, you will still have your factory overloads and won't lose any load capacity. An "add a leaf" kit will make the ride rougher in the rear and will goof up the load capacity. I think Pro Comps radius arm brackets take care of the caster angle correction in the front so there shouldn't be anything to worry about there. These are just a few things I've been looking into before I buy a lift and I thought I'd share.

Go to the Pro Comp web site for recommended tire sizes for the lift. You would be better off with the tires they say you should use in the truck. As it turns out, companies sometimes know what they are talking about. Smaller tires might cause some of the engineered corrections in the suspension and drive train to cause problems that you might think are from something else other than the wrong size tires.

RipperF350

RipperF350
Reaction score
so now what

thanks for the info Pro Comp recommends 35x 12.5 tires but there is no way i can get those to fit on duallys even with new rims but dose anyone know where i can get some wider after market dually rims as cheap as possible or some other way to get closer to 35" tires
I havent gotten anything to lift the rear yet it i only bought the front end part of the kit the guy i got it kept the springs and added blocks my local 4x4 shop told me to get 6" springs keep the over load springs and get rid of the stock blocks anyone have any better ideas for this

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14