Tire Wear

dmayhew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have a 2010 F250 Crew Cab Larit w/ 20" wheels

We took new delivery 08-16-2010 , truck has 16k miles.

The Goodyear tires are showing extream wear.

Truck belongs to our daughter , and does not receive heavy duty use.

Has anyone else had premature ware issues??

If so , did Ford take car of the issue?

Thanks
David

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the tires been rotated? Should be done about every 5000 miles give or take.

dmayhew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They were not rotated on time, they were at about 10K
But we also have a new 2010 Silverdao with 17k miles and the tires have not been rotated at all, and they look pretty much like they did when new.

As for the F250, all 4 tires are wearing out the same, not sure how rotaing would help that, they are all 4 still on the same truck??

I think the tires that Goodyear bid and won for the contract on were sub standard.

I can not see tires wearing out like this at only 16k

Thanks

David

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Are you checking the air pressures often? I usually check mine weekly. How are they wearing? Evenly? Inside or outside wearing weird on the fronts? Its possible to get a bad set of tires too.

dmayhew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stroked68, thanks for trying to help.

I check the air at least once a month, they have been ok mostly, there was atime when the rears were low , I keep them at ~64lbs.

As for wear, the 1st sign of a problem, was the center of both rear tires started looking different than the outer portion to both sides.

But all 4 tires have show heavy wear all across the tire, with the rears having the heavier wear in the center.

I know too much can cause center wear, but they had never been over inflated.

The truck has never hauled anything

Just driver to school and other 16 year old driving and wasting fuel

Thanks
David

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Stroked68, thanks for trying to help.

I check the air at least once a month, they have been ok mostly, there was atime when the rears were low , I keep them at ~64lbs.

As for wear, the 1st sign of a problem, was the center of both rear tires started looking different than the outer portion to both sides.

But all 4 tires have show heavy wear all across the tire, with the rears having the heavier wear in the center.

I know too much can cause center wear, but they had never been over inflated.

The truck has never hauled anything

Just driver to school and other 16 year old driving and wasting fuel

Thanks
David

Well if you arent hauling anything I'd be puttin around 45 to 50lbs in them all the way around. When I haul I usually put about 65 to 70 in them. Cant remember what load range I got. Right now I just put 50 in them. Try doin 50 on all 4 corners. I know its already too late for yer tires but I'd run that when you get new ones.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup...they actually are over inflated.

The recommended pressure on the sticker on the door jamb...and the tire itself for that matter...are for when you are hauling at max load capacity.

An easy way to find out what pressure you need to run is to get some chalk...like the sidewalk chalk for kids. Take the truck and the chalk to a section of calm pavement, parking lot...whatever. Rub the chalk across a good sized patch of the tread...all the way side to side. Now, keep the wheels straight and move forward so that the tires make several rotations. Get out and check the pattern of the chalk and adjust the air pressure and repeat until you see that the chalk has been worn off even across the entire tread.

Keep in mind that the rear tires will most likely require less pressure than the fronts will, due to the weight of the engine.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David check the load range on the tire should be a E. OEM tire for F250 and 350 are load range E. I have seen after market tire shops put something other then E range tires on. If you have something other then a D range or E. Tire maybe to soft on the side wall. On the psi my truck 08 F250 says 65 psi front and back. I don't know if it's deferent on 2010.
The only other thing would be have the alignment checked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14