Tire weight ratings?

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have an 03 F350 7.3 SRW. A buddy just put a set of snowplow springs under the front end...Now I need to fill up the wheelwells. Nothing in life is free......
So while looking at different tires, 33-35" tall, I see similar weight ratings for some 10ply as well as 8ply tires. There seems to be a greater availability in D rated tires in these sizes, but we haul livestock, hay etc on gooseneck trailers so need the towing capacity and I have a tendancy to "overbuild"; I hate getting flat tires!
So the question is: if the weight ratings are similar even tho the PSI may be different (generally 40-60 in D's vs 80 in E's) are they equal in safety and durability?
It appears that Micky Thompson makes the only 35" E rated tires at ~300 buck each, but there are many 35" D rated tires with very similar weight ratings....Make sense? :dunno
Thanks!
Mike

maw88

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A BFG all-terrain will never fail you. I went to a 16.5 wheel because the tires are alot cheaper. I run 35 X 12.50's and have never had a problem with them. When towing my gooseneck loaded with a ford 5k and a 5-ton spreader they perform well. The last ones I got it was buy 3 get 1 free from 4 wheel parts.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look a little moer you will find more 285 or 295s in d and e ratings.. nitto,bfg,mickey,toyo, all have them,. you may want more height to run 35s or plan on modifying the valance and rubbing the wheel wells and springs.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Ended up going w/315-70x17. I thot the 16.5 would be without tires pretty soon as it is kind of an odd size....
Now just gotta see about getting the speedo reset.
Did a little trimming, about 5mins worth and no problems now!
Thanks for the help!
Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14