Tired of Stock Turbo failures

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I have had 3 rebuilt turbos on my truck the last 4 years. I will admit the first one trashed was my fault boosting the old girl to 35 psi a few times.
Because of that failure I left the chip down so it would only boost 15 to 18 psi well within the limits of the stock turbo. And Always I cool down the turbo. The 2nd and 3rd failed within 10,000 miles.
I want a turbo that will last and stand up to my chip that is capable of 35psi boost on the truck. Please give me suggestions on where to go or look. I would like a direct replacement but will consider slight modifications.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need a better turbo shop. I'm still running on my OE turbo after 50k on the injectors & chip with 175k on the truck. Given what you are running you should have no problem with the stock turbo unless you're boosting too high.

Do you know what failed on the replacement turbos?

The only direct replacement is the D-66 turbo from Beans' the other option is the H2E kit for the OBS but Hypermax designs the system to have an intercooler.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I agree that they are crappy rebuilds, THey came right from Garrett the manufacture. Through the Ford dealer. That is one reason I won't go back.I will admit the first one was over boosted a few times, the other two where never boosted over the limit. I know because I am the only one that drives this truck, and after buying a turbo I didn't want to explain to the financial officer why I need another turbo. Lucky she was with me when this one bit the dust.

I would rebuild it myself ( I have rebuilt many of them) but I am in the process of moving and have no time. And need the truck to move.

I will check out Beans. That's where my injectors and chip is from. What are the reviews on that drop in replacement? Anyone have one.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tail gunner is running one in his early '99 IIRC, and I have only seen good reviews. they use the same center section as your stock turbo.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Occasional overboost shouldnt tear up a turbo, not in 10K miles anyway unless you are pegging 35 psi and pulling it there all the time. I rebuilt my own stock Garrett and it lasted long time, guy that has the truck now is still driving it 4 years after the rebuild. I dont know how he drives it but when I drove it the turbo saw 38 psi now and again.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
noticed 3" downpipe in your sig. maybe a larger exhaust sys. will help with the egts and the the heat the chip makes. i have a 02 7.3 f-550 that weighs 18k with 160k miles and knock on wood, no turbo issues.. and believe me, she catches hell.. everyday. but my truck is also stock too.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
being as the d66 has the stock center section in it i don't believe this turbo to be much more reliable than stock. the h2e setup can be had with or without the intercooler setup. they make pipes for the cooler or a bypass for non intercooled setups. i would go the h2e route. you can get the kit for around $2250. thats the drawback of the h2e

PowerSmoker73

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought my turbo from a turbo builder who custom ported and polished the compressor housing, rebuilt it with performance bearings and to garrets specs for $600 outright without a core. He also makes his own version of the D66 for dirt cheap without a core, last I think it was $1000.
Mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58