Tires for 18" wheels

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck F350, is coming with LT275/70R18 all season BSW tires. Normally, factory tires are not the best. How do they hold up? and what is a good replacement tire for this wheel? I looked at the tires on the trucks at the dealer's lot, and found that every truck had a different brand and size tire. Whats up with that??
Anyone found a national brand store to buy good tires for an 18" wheel? I chose the all season tires because most of my driving will be pulling a 5th wheel on highways.
My truck is a 4x4 with posi, for those rare instances when I will be out of state in snow country, so I don't think I will need the radical tread tires.

Thanks

Max Power

Reaction score
My experience is that you are sort of limited to sizes when it comes to 18" tires. Our 06 came with continental raised white letter 275/70R18. I am thinking about switching them to BFG A/T's in 285/65R18. That is about the closest I could find in a somewhat decent tire.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
We do a lot of towing too.
I'm gettting close to looking for some replacements too. I've found a few 18" D rated, but the only E rated so far has been the Conti's :(
I'm told that there are some D rated tires that are at or near the E ratting, but I havent heard from anyone that uses them along with towing. Maybe someone will chime in.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
The continental's blow, i had the nitto's but my friends old man had the conti's and they were almost done at 21,000 and they rode like crap

Reaction score
acjjkamp said:
We do a lot of towing too.
I'm gettting close to looking for some replacements too. I've found a few 18" D rated, but the only E rated so far has been the Conti's :(
I'm told that there are some D rated tires that are at or near the E ratting, but I havent heard from anyone that uses them along with towing. Maybe someone will chime in.

And Maxtor also -

I just a few months ago went all through this. I settled for the D rated BFG's and for me it's about the worst thing I did.

My truck came with Goodyears - they make an 18" Load E rated tire. I should have gone back with that but was looking for more off road aggression. The Goodyear was excellent on the road, wet roads etc - just not that great off road. Seriously I wish that I had put them back on. Hopefully I can save up enough mad money to buy new rims, tires and a very very small lift - just enough to clear the tires - by the time these BFGs wear out.

Anyway - look for the Goodyears - best choice you have at the moment.

Ron

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I called our local Les Schwab, and they said that they had two different tires for the 18" wheel with 10 ply sidewall. Toyo at $291 each, or Continental for $589 for a set of four. They are very proud of the Toyo and not so proud of the Contental tires. I am going to take a look at the Goodyear tires, I have always had good luck with Goodyear tires.

Reaction score
Maxtor said:
Thanks for the info.

I called our local Les Schwab, and they said that they had two different tires for the 18" wheel with 10 ply sidewall. Toyo at $291 each, or Continental for $589 for a set of four. They are very proud of the Toyo and not so proud of the Contental tires. I am going to take a look at the Goodyear tires, I have always had good luck with Goodyear tires.

I would be interested to know exactly which Toyo tire it is. I spent a little over 3 weeks looking at every single tire maker. Granted I was looking for an AT tire and not a street tire - I did not find any AT Toyo tire with an E rating that would fit a stock rim correctly.

Let us know what you find out.

Ron

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other hand....

The price and the size for the Toyo tire is wrong... I will call Schwab tomorrow and find out which tire they are talking about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl