To chip or not chip...that is my ????????

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
Here is my dilema:

I have done just about everything needed to be able to put a chip in my 02 7.3L with 122K on it. Magnaflow exhaust, Isspro gauges, AFE Stage II and changed the tranny fluid to synthetic, along with a Transgo shift kit. I'm pretty much satisfied with the performance that I have achieved alone with these upgrades.

But, I'm questioning myself on if I really need a chip or not? I don't really tow much, other than a 4wheeler and trailer to the hunting lease. I know one of the benefits are better gas mileage, but that I question, because with more power, I'd probally step on it more...so there goes the added diesel fuel savings. I'm concerned about the tranny vs. chip issue. Seems to me that the tranny takes the beating, when it comes to adding a chip. I want to be one of those truck owners with 500K on the motor. I'm thinking a chip might lesson that goal.

( I do understand that I wouldn't be a part of the "cool" club without a chip):sly

What are your all's opinions?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I have the same modifications on our X,I think you'd be more than satisfied with a programmer rather than a chip that has to be physically installed.

Programmer just plugs into the OBD II port under the dash by the right knee.
We've got the SCMT programmer loaded for the last 5 years and couldn't be more than satisfied with it's performance and dependability:sweet

I'd rather have a reliable truck than be "cool" although cranking it to position 5 would dump out some hideous mosquito fog when needed:D :sweet

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
All I can say is.........once you have driven it with a chip you won't go back to stock.

Power is there when you need it but you don't have to hammer on it all the time.

Tbar

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Do you need a chip or programmer? The honest answer to that is no. But, if your kids are all well fed and cared for and cash flow is good, I would highly recommend either a chip or programmer, just for fun if nothing else. The "I'll get 2 mpg more with a chip" statement is the excuse that you can use with the wife for justification for the purchase. I have had a chip of one kind or another since 2001 on mine and really can not tell any difference in mileage.
I have given some of the new muscle cars a run for their money and that is always fun and for towing, a chip is well worth the money.
So, for a slightly slanted opinion, yes they are an absolute necessity. :D
Jim

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip it... I have 2 PSD's in the garage (so to speak...LOL) both are chipped and would not have it any other way.

Nothing agaist CHP, but if your going to go the programer way go for the SCT Xcal 2, better tunes, upgradable, more options, live data streaming and logging. New tunes can be e-mailed to you...

Dp Tuner

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
Man....I hate all these choices. I've been on the fence with putting in a chip. Now I'm rethinking the chip vs. programmer thing. I hate having so many choices. :doh: Life was so much easier when there was only 3 channels of TV and you had to get up off your azz and change the channel.

Thanks for the input guys:thumbs now I'm really confused:D

JRJ04

Reaction score
id go with a programmer. i have the superchips model 1705 in mine and its great. i keep it on the lowest setting (70 hp) and am very happy with it. ive never had any tranny troubles and itll scoot when i need it to!:sly

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
All I can say is.........once you have driven it with a chip you won't go back to stock.

Power is there when you need it but you don't have to hammer on it all the time.

Tbar, coudn't be more correct! I have run both programmers and chips, I would say to go with a multi-position chip, so you can have multiple tunes, for economy, towing, cruising, camaro killing, and also so you can turn it OFF when needed. I know this might raise some comotion but there are times that it is better to not have that much power. Like this weekend I was pulling a fellow PSD out of some very soupy mud, at first I didn't trun down my HP level, and as soon as I'd start easing into the throttle the tires would spin, and we got nowhere. A friend reminded me of the high chip setting, so I put it into stock mode, and low and behold, I was able to pull the other truck out, by not spinning my tires and maintaining traction. All the extra HP is GREAT to play with, and for daily driving, but there are the occasional situations where it's nice to flip a switch and not spend 15 min unprogramming the truck, plus it's just as easy to go back. Plus my wife can turn it to stock when she drives it, she says it has to much power for her otherwise.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58