to RMS or not to RMS?

to RMS or not to RMS?

• i did it - it was worth it - do it

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • i did it - it was worth it - dont do it(2 much of a pain)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • i did it - not worth it - but still do it(hey, why not)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i did it - not worth it - dont do it

• i havent done it - but you should

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • i havent done it - you shouldnt either

• its a 6.0, dont worry about a little drip.....

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • its a diesel, dont worry about it

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
that is the question....Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the stings and arrows of outrageous fortune (a LITTLE drip), or take up arms against a sea of troubles(ford), and by opposing them, end them.

...... :D or something like that. lol couldnt help myself :sorry

i have a LITTLE drip, almost never hits the ground but will do so every once in a while. trying to decide if its worth getting it fixed or if its more trouble than its worth as im coming up fast (and thats w/ a serious effort not to drive randomly) on my 36k

- please vote, you can choose more than one option -

Last edited:

purplewg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Other can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the rear main seal will be covered for the duration of the 100,000 mile warranty on engine. I don't have the book with me but it was on my 7.3.

I too have that little seep. I had it on the 7.3 and it never got any worse. If the seal is covered for the 100K, I would wait and see if you get the recall on the tranny. If you do then have them do the seal at that time.

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The drip on my trans has never dropped to the ground. I just clean the trans during an oil change. Sure enough the drip is back.

I have 35,000+ miles on my truck and I have never been to the dealer to complain about this drip. I do not worry about it.

purplewg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Skweeker said:
The drip on my trans has never dropped to the ground. I just clean the trans during an oil change. Sure enough the drip is back.

I have 35,000+ miles on my truck and I have never been to the dealer to complain about this drip. I do not worry about it.

Yeah, mine does the same thing. Just enough to create a dripplet (sp) but not drop on the floor. If/when it starts making a mess I will have it fixed.

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
But then again... the rear main seals on these engines rarely fail. It's easy to assume that this is the case because the oil collects at the transmission bell housing right under the seal. The truth is, almost every known source of oil leaks on the 6.0L ends up showing at the bell housing. In a poll I conducted I asked technicians what are the three most common oil leaks they repair. So far the top three out of the 15 known leak sources are:

1. ICP sensor
  2. Glow plug harnesses
  3. CAC tubes (tied with 2nd)

My advice would be to stop assuming the worst and take a closer look at your engines. The repair is likely to be far simpler than you think!

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
If I am getting a raw diesel fuel smell in the cab, coupled with the "seepage" at the bell housing, what should I look for and where should I look?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14