Too much black smoke at 2500 rpm?

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys my truck with the chip at stock if I give it some gas about 75% throttle and get to 2500 rpm I get WAY to much black smoke....

I changed the air filter on it and checked and made sure all the turbo cac pipes were tight any other ideas???

Maybe my turbo is going out? I cant hear it like I used too, but that may be me thinking it was louder at one time??

Thoughts / comments??

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
clarify please.

Your running down the road then give it 75% throttle and it smokes?

What speed are you running?

Does it downshift when you do this or does it lug the motor?

Are you trying to tell me that since your not giving me boost numbers that your running a chip and no gauges?:cop

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you know I dont run the Chip till I get the gauges, I used the chip twice since I had it at 80 econo mode for maybe 10 seconds each time.... it always stays in stock position.

If I am at a dead stop, and I give it throtle to 2500 rpms quickly it smokes alot... Black smoke.

It gets up and goes like no tomorrow though , no bogging no lugging no problems just alot of smoke.

if I am doing 35 and get on it , it then will black smoke too.. I dont push it 3000 rpms never above 2500 till gauges...

yes yes waste of a chip, but for now till my PB equipment sells I dont have the cash raz me for that later...

if I am doing 10 mph and give it the gas it smokes changes gears and smokes when it down shifts too...

if I keep it around 2200 rpm no smoke is visable.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Exhaust sound the same at idle? Could be the EBPV partially closed maybe. But wouldn't know without gauges to see what boost it's pushing.

Have you taken the intake off at the turbo to see if the turbo still spins freely? Also check for endplay.

Another thing, is it possible the chip reverted to a non stock position? Have you played with the chip position to see if the smoke changes...gets worse if you go higher in HP levels.

Just thought of something....is the actuator rod still on the WG? Maybe the clip came off like Budro's did.:dunno

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Are you sure the chip is in the stock position? I know it sounds stupid, and like a dumb idea, but maybe it got bumped into a different position.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I'm going with the thought that the "stock" position is more than stock. This assumes that it is accelerating fine as you state.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Exhaust sound the same at idle? Could be the EBPV partially closed maybe. But wouldn't know without gauges to see what boost it's pushing.

Have you taken the intake off at the turbo to see if the turbo still spins freely? Also check for endplay.

Another thing, is it possible the chip reverted to a non stock position? Have you played with the chip position to see if the smoke changes...gets worse if you go higher in HP levels.

Just thought of something....is the actuator rod still on the WG? Maybe the clip came off like Budro's did.:dunno

1. Yes Exhaust is still the same at idle.
I am starting to think the epbv is closed.
3.yes the turbo is spinning freely. no endplay its stright on when spining.
4. nope I even took the chip out and reset the cpu to be sure.
5. If I go the 80 econ mod its slightly more smoke but faster in the rpm range.
6. Ill have to check the last part!!

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Are you sure the chip is in the stock position? I know it sounds stupid, and like a dumb idea, but maybe it got bumped into a different position.

Only I drive it and I check it everytime before I crank it.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
I'm going with the thought that the "stock" position is more than stock. This assumes that it is accelerating fine as you state.

This is a solid statment, but for a year I have driven it like this and for the last 3 weeks Im getting smoke like I have it in teh 80hp chip setting, buts its at stock.

I know this by checking each setting and taking the chip out.

So I am now wondering ebpv? or injector wear?

or turbo isnt spinning up fast enough??

Something isnt right inthe air misxture the Diesel is there fast enought maybe not enough air?

or is it normal to get that much black smoke when you stomp it????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14