Question too much oil on dip stick

dmayhew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have a 2010 F250 Power Stroke,the truck is NOT used for hauling, I changed they oil at 10K miles. It now has 14K

I checked the oil Saturday and it appeared to be over full by a little. I drained some until the oil was just short of the max level on the dip stick.

I checked it again tonight, and it shows just over the maxx level.

Do these motors have a fuel in oil issue?

I thought I knew how to read a dip stick, but now I wonder??

David

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about this motor, but fuel is definitely a possibility. 10K is too far for the oil unless you are running syn oil and are getting it checked by oil analysis.

Dave

dmayhew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about this motor, but fuel is definitely a possibility. 10K is too far for the oil unless you are running syn oil and are getting it checked by oil analysis.

Dave

10 K is excattaly what the owners manual calls for on a truck used like ours,
I have seen other owners here state they have gone much futhar than 10K.

David

Last edited:

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 6.4l specifically has a problem with the dpf system. Fuel makes its way back into the oiling system during the exhaust stroke when in regeneration. This causes fuel in the oil. I read up on this when I was looking at buying a 6.4l. You need to get that truck into the dealership and make them fix it. If not you will have improper lubrication and seize your motor. This has happened on several vehicles already. Needless to say I did not buy the 6.4l. From my understanding if you delete the dpf and have it tuned for without dpf this is not a problem anymore. Of course there goes your warranty.

Fine69

Reaction score
6.4's do in fact "Make Oil" as they say. This is why I change my oil at 3000 miles and send a sample to Blackstone labs at every change. Regardless of what the manual says, 10,000 miles is too long to go between changes. Look at it this way, would you rather spend $100 on an oil change, or Thousands on a new engine? No brainer to me.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me like my old 6.0 more all the time.
Pulled my fifthwheel 420 miles yesterday and it got 10.9 mpg
on the trip.
Doug

dpantazis

Reaction score
Regardless of what the manual says, 10,000 miles is too long to go between changes. Look at it this way, would you rather spend $100 on an oil change, or Thousands on a new engine? No brainer to me.

Fine69 why are you so skeptical against 10K intervals? 3000 miles interval is bunk sold by the oil change industry. oil and engine technology have advanced so much, 10kis nothing.

if you think that fuel hitting $5 a gallon is going to be bad, you will be changing your tune when lube oil hits $40-$50 a gallon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58