Took wife and youngest daughter shooting

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
They were tlking about added home security since this year in the San Diego area there has been one or more home invasions a week. We have an alarm system and panic button but my daughter though a gun would make my wife feel safer when I am teaching school in the evenings. So I bought a 20 Ga magnum pump with a short and long barrel set. Last week I took them to an indoor range and let each one shoot a box of shells. They both a chance to load in a hurry and also fire several shots in quick succession. We tried a couple of pistols also and my wife liked the little S&W Detective Special so I got her one for her birthday in 38 cal and it had never been fired! I can see a new hobby coming along here???

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work--If you think shooting is a hobby the family will continue in, I'd recommend picking up a GOOD .22LR auto pistol (poor-quality .22's are unimaginably frustrating and are better left alone) since that's pretty much the best type of firearm to learn handgun fundamentals like sight alignment, trigger control, follow through, etc... You can learn those skills on a snubbie .38, but a .22 makes it easier since (1) there isn't nearly as much recoil/muzzle blast/expense (even .38's get pricey after a while) and (2) practice time is more effective when you're not worrying about recoil/blast/et al. I have a S&W Model 41 from the 3rd year of production that I think is the cat's azz, but the Ruger Mk. II and new Mk. III pistols are excellent as well. The triggers, like the triggers on every single Ruger of any type I've fired, can use some professional attention, but their price/quality ratio is very high and they'll last quite a long time when given proper care.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
GOOD .22LR auto pistol
like a Ruger Mk II

I'm not going to sit here and preach about how you should do or buy this or that, they'll get it figured out.

Especially if they go with you to pick out their Christmas presents...

My wife picked out a Ruger Blackhawk in .32 H&R / .32WCF that ended up being a pretty rare revolver...

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
My dad has a new Ruger Mk. ?? Stainless target with the heavy fluted barrel and it is sweet. The trigger is pretty decent on it as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg