Toolbox options needed for flatbed

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
I have a flatbed on my PSD and I really need a toolbox. I'm thinking I have no choice but to run the underbed toolboxes, as i am warming up to the looks of em, but they cost about $280 a piece and if you get one you gotta get two, right? Other option was to mount a chest up front but i need to haul my bike around too. A normal chest doesnt give me enough room for my bike. I have 1' 3" to play with if I were to mount a chest. I found one for a side bed that would fit perfect, but the latch was in the middle and i dont want to have to jump onto my bed to open the toolbox. Are there cheaper underbody toolboxes out there, skinny chest toolboxes?

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Depends on whether you want steel or aluminum. Steel boxes are cheap and are easy to install. Aluminum boxes last longer and cost more, plus they are lighter. I have underbed boxes on all my flat beds and have had little problems with aluminum boxes. Steel boxes just expect to replace them in a few years since the salt and road grime will tear them up.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum boxes aren't cheap, but they are the way to go.

One guy has a set of under bed cubes plus some that go lengthways along the sides of the bed...both sides. The side mounts open to the outside...latches are easily accessable.

You don't have to get a pair, you can buy them as singles. My wife works at the truck shop here, they sell all of that stuff. I've seen quite a few different combos go out the doors.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Aluminum boxes are not cheap, but well worth the money. I have a few boxes made by weatherguard, which have good stainless latches and locks. They are a diamond plate finish bright or black and also clear coated.

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
i know you can buy them separate, im just saying i need to even it out. I just cant believe that they are that expensive when some boxes that hold more are cheaper. I'd go with aluminum for that very reason. Ohio winters require lots of road salt. Im leaning towards weatherguard. I have heard good things and i think they look strong. I have only owned delta boxes before. In your opinion whats better?

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I like the weatherguard boxes very much. They have nice door seals. I have noticed on some other peoples boxes the clear coat popping up and oxidation starting under it. None of mine have defects though. One thing that I hate of winter is the road salt. The counties and cities lay down the salt like gravel and when the road is dry it is the color white.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl