Torque converter lock up

Fire Rooster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Any body using the T/C lock up mod? I got a SP diesel mod from a buddy of mine and I am interested in learning a bit more about it

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Fire Rooster said:
Any body using the T/C lock up mod? I got a SP diesel mod from a buddy of mine and I am interested in learning a bit more about it

I would be interested in durabilaty of the torque converter after this mod. I have buddys who have done this to some late model camaros and vettes, makes the cars much quicker, but kills verter shortly there after. -popcorn

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak of the longevity because I have never done done it.

But, the killer of a TC is heat & wear... heat & wear are created from slipping... locking up the TC prevents slipping. In theory it should make it last longer.

I think most of the guys in the vettes & camaros are killing theirs when taking off at fast speeds... The TC lock up doesn't do anything for you until after you have reached a speed at which you can lock it up. I also think those other guys may have auto locks that lock the TC up at a certain speeds... no matter what the RPM's are at... If your in full acceleration and in locks up all of a sudden, its like slamming a gear on a downshift. It doesn't take to many times before things start to wear and break.

Most guys doing this in their PSD's have manual switches and really rather baby them.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the manual switched TC lock mod, and let me tell you, thank (pick diety of your choice) I had one!!

I made a wrong turn in Cheyenne, and ended up coming into Idaho via the TETONS. If it wasnt for the TC lockup, I would have smoked my tranny on a 10% grade. Hit 200 degrees on the temp gauge even WITH the lockup.

I cant think of anyone who has lost a TC due to the lockup mod.

Your right tho, we really baby WHEN we turn it on, but once its on, you can beat on the truck pretty hard.

Just remember to turn it off before coming to a stop or you will stall the engine.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that at low engine rpm you can run into problems with not enough pressure to adequately hold the locking mechanism so you are basically creating more heat with this engaged and actually forcing the material to slip. On TDS there was a guy in the 94-97 forum who religiously used his lockup switch and ended up burning his t/c up on the way back from a long trip. His screen name escapes me right now.

You can use the mod to go slowly like FForgotton did climbing grades as long as you keep the RPM up to ensure adequate fluid pressures to actually actuate the locking mechanism.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a side note, I discovered that my computer code will LOCK the TC even in LOW RANGE!!

I ran into a problem crossing the Tetons with TOO MUCH LOAD. Unplugged my 4x4 hub solenoid and clicked it into 2-wheel low range and low and behold, the TC locked up!

Weweld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire Rooster said:

I will be getting the SCT TC lockup program that will keep the TC locked up after takeoff and in all gears. This program is being used for our Red Racer drag truck. I will post again on Sunday after we get done playing on Saturday.

GENE

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
The problem is that at low engine rpm you can run into problems with not enough pressure to adequately hold the locking mechanism so you are basically creating more heat with this engaged and actually forcing the material to slip. On TDS there was a guy in the 94-97 forum who religiously used his lockup switch and ended up burning his t/c up on the way back from a long trip. His screen name escapes me right now.

You can use the mod to go slowly like FForgotton did climbing grades as long as you keep the RPM up to ensure adequate fluid pressures to actually actuate the locking mechanism.

Nit is his screen name, he fried the converter from locking it up a little to early and dropping the hammer on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14