Torque Converter Nuts

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So In replacing my cracked flex plate this weekend I managed to let the socket slip off of a couple nuts :innocent leaving them partially stripped enough that I could get them off but I'm not willing to put them back on.

I need to figure out what the spec is on the nuts to get a replacement since I have a difficult time paying the $ my stealer wants for them. They are obviously a flange nut. Given their function and condition I would expect to find that they are a locking nut of some sort but are they a distorted thread nut, or easy on flange nuts? They aren't nylon lock nuts.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well a bit of information for posterity they are 3/8 - 24 Stover or deformed thread flange nuts.

Prior to posting this I forgot the simple rule of dealing with stealerships and that is when one doesn't give you the price you like you call another.

The first one quoted me 5.43ea I'll pa 1.58ea while still a ripoff the other sources I found had me ordering far more than I needed making this a better deal for the quantity I needed.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no kidding, the trans shops around here won't sell you parts and I haven't discovered where a parts distributor is that will deal with the general public. I've been meaning to take pictures and post them you can see that the top of the nut is distorted into an oval to provide the gripping force. And I discovered that they are only good for 3 uses, I figure beyond that red lock-tite will serve the purpose but since I'd damaged one I figured replace them all.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I only use those nuts once. Toss em and get new ones. I have found that they can look decent and still fail.

You can try Fastenal or this guy. Transmission parts USA Automatic transmission parts His price is $.40 each. ;tu

My tranny shop will sell me anything. I needed a snap ring for an E4OD. They hand me the box and a mic. "Take what you need and contribute to the coffeee fund." ;tu:D

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brandon
Check with Dacco there a transmission parts supplier. I get part from these guys all the time.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the direction I managed to convince the stealership that they were only worth 94¢ each.

I checked fastenal and they told me that since they don't stock them I'd need to order whatever bag quantity they came in. Part of it in this circumstance came down to I needed the truck Thursday or pay a $50 delivery fee for equipment so I had to pony up for the sake of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58