Torque Converter Shudder?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently been feeling my truck jerking when I'm in drive, usually under a light throttle just before OD. How do I determine if this is from the engine or transmission? And if this is a torque converter shudder, whats the fix? I was thinking about getting a full fluid and filter service on the tranny in a couple of weeks (Cost??). I'm also changing my oil and oil filter this weekend, and cleaning the air filter (I think I wiped out at least 3 species of insects on the natchez trace last weekend).

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same, injectors were failing.(2 of them) have a cct test performed in the morning when the motor is cold. A week injector feels like a vibration at 35 mph. Thats approx when the tc locks up. When itslocked its direct drive. The vibrations are noticeable. Could be a converter or driveshaft issue. I have found the injectors causing a miss to cause a lot of it.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I changed the oil and cleaned the #@$#@ out of the air filter. Man was that thing dirty. I think that was the culprit. I want to get AE so I dont have to keep going up to the diesel shop for these reasons.

I bought some Lucas transmission conditioner and treatment....is it ok to mix the 2 together in the transmission?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
shudder isn't a jerk, anyway..
shudder feels like washboard roads at 70mph...

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shudder isn't a jerk, anyway..
shudder feels like washboard roads at 70mph...

Well "jerking" was probably the wrong word to use....nothing that jarred my head back and forth. What you said is a better description.;tu

I did notice once or twice, the sound coming from the engine....but I couldn't feel it. It just sounded like it was almost cutting out.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some Lucas transmission conditioner and treatment....is it ok to mix the 2 together in the transmission?

Have never used the Lucas stuff... have always had good results with the Trans-X additive though..:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58