torque converter

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are some signs to look for when the t/c starts to go bad. i now i have about 150,000 miles on used tranny. its not locking up as quick, and sometimes i will have to stop the truck and move the gear selector to park and back to drive to stop the trasnsmission front slipping in overdrive after the truck is at operating temp. and trans temp above 100 degrees

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
when mine started to go, i caught it early. i had a fully loaded trailer going up a big hill with heavy throttle applied....the tach broke free from the speedo, and then the tranny decided that was enough and went 100% line pressure and started SLAMMING gears and blinking the od off light.

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont catch it early skip just replacing the TC and get a full tranny rebuild, chances are crap from the TC tore up the rest of the tranny,

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i lost 2nd gear. took it to a local transmission shop. he took it for a ride and said he thinks the diode sprag broke.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he is going to replace the the diode sprag and beef the tranny up. i should have it back by thursday of next week. i am fouth in line. with 2 7.3l ahead of me.when i get the bill i will see what he did to beef up the tranny. he does good work, he already rebuilt our gas engine work truck a couple of months ago. it workks great. so im excited on the outcome. he also owns a 2002 F-250 so i think im in good hands

Last edited:

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright i picked up my truck sunday night. drove it to work everyday. took a friend for a ride last night. his first response was DAMN thats fast. the guy installed a new sprag and band and a rebuild kit, shift kit and hd torque converter. now i can turn my chip up. the shifting is strong and overdrive torque converter lock is much better. i may have to see if my 1/4 mile time is improved

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to impose but how was the price. Don't mean numbers but fair or way crazy? Have a buddy that had his done and they charged him 2200 for a rebuild and beef up. Truck runs, tows and shifts better now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58