Tow Command / Controller Question

rhack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Prodigy brake controller on my current vehicle. Still looking to get into an F250 with Tow Command. Does the TC have boost settings and manual power settings? Do you need to go through a setup procedure while towing to get the power output set? Just curios, thanks.

One of the local dealers is advertising $10K off of sticker if you use Ford Finance. Sent a request for a quote to see how good it really is. Hoping this may be the ticket.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rhack said:
I've been using a Prodigy brake controller on my current vehicle. Still looking to get into an F250 with Tow Command. Does the TC have boost settings and manual power settings? Do you need to go through a setup procedure while towing to get the power output set? Just curios, thanks.

One of the local dealers is advertising $10K off of sticker if you use Ford Finance. Sent a request for a quote to see how good it really is. Hoping this may be the ticket.

1. boost yes
2. manual overide yes
3. a quick set up to set the gain as in any other controller to match the braking effort to the load, it takes about 30 seconds.
it has great digital feedback and works SMOOOOOOTH whether we are pulling the cargo or the rv. no jerking and it will run hydraulic disc trailer brakes to.
best thing they have added in an long time :sweet

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the best thing about the onboard ford trailer break controler is that when your trucks antilock breaks come on, the trailer breaks work in antilock mode also....no other trailer break controler does that!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they are great, my Hitch Hiker has hydraulic disc trailer brakes and they are so smooth. I think you will fall in love with them. I sure did.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snoeproe said:
the best thing about the onboard ford trailer break controler is that when your trucks antilock breaks come on, the trailer breaks work in antilock mode also....no other trailer break controler does that!

not true...brakesmart works in the same manner.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
snoeproe said:

nope
the controller does NOT caause the trailer brakes to work in an anti-lock mode.
it helps to ensure smoother braking by modulating amps sent to the brakes to help limit wheel lock up. but it in no way makes your trailer anti-lock. this was a bad idea put in folks head by overzelous dealers salesmen

page 160

Last edited:

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr is right because sometimes i forget to turn down the controller after taking off the load and they will lock up if you hit the brakes to hard.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll triple that... I had a trailer hopscotch to an intersection because I forgot to dial it back after I got the hay off it...

I didn't mind, it got most of the loose hay off it... and got that tailgater to load up his pants...

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my trailer brake... oh man very clean looking pluse no hassle.. just hook up trailer... put truck in gear and go.. and you can get it with a 6spd manual, they tried to tell me i couldnt when i ordered mine... but i havent had much experience with after market.. i just know this thing works awsome

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
nope
the controller does NOT caause the trailer brakes to work in an anti-lock mode.
it helps to ensure smoother braking by modulating amps sent to the brakes to help limit wheel lock up. but it in no way makes your trailer anti-lock. this was a bad idea put in folks head by overzelous dealers salesmen

page 160

modultaing amps to the trailer breaks while the truck is in antilock mode is as close as it gets to antilocking trailer breaks. preventing wheel lockup is antilock in my books. i wish my aftermarket break controler did that.
when you go from a towing fully loaded heavy trailer to towing an empty trailer, you have to adjust the gain on any break controler, or it will lock up or hopscotch the trailer breaks....nothing new there. thats standard towing procedure.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim