Tow Haul

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have heard that it is better for mileage and to reduce the pressure in the engine if the tow haul is not engeged? This really doesn't make sence; wasn't that what it was designed for? Is there any truth to this?

I'm having a great time with my 06 F-250 psd. It runs like a top and I'm getting used to all the moans, whistled and rattles. On thing that did check out was that I had a chain rattling sound that seemed to be comming from the left rear wheel well-it turned out that the mail shaft bearing in the transfercase was brosken and it had damaged the transfer case. Since the truck is so new I got a new transfer case and every thing is fine now. Thank God for warrenties! Anyway, I just love to listen to the engine hum along knowing that all I have to do is push the throttle and I have more that enopugh power to do what ever I want. Great truck.

Flyguy

Reaction score
flyguy51 said:
I have heard that it is better for mileage and to reduce the pressure in the engine if the tow haul is not engeged? This really doesn't make sence; wasn't that what it was designed for? Is there any truth to this?

I don't know if I understand exactly what your asking for here. If your towing heavy - then yes - it's good to have the T/H mode engaged. It purpose is that of an engine brake to help with stopping of course.

Yes it will lower your fuel mileage as it changes the shift points higher and runs the RPM's up. It will also keep the truck from going into the overdrive gear until it's ready for it.

Will it hurt the truck to run it daily? I can't be positive - but I really don't see where it would hurt anything. The truck is designed with the T/H - the pressure it creates is not going to be outside of it's design.

Any help :dunno

Ron

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Will it hurt the truck to run it daily? I can't be positive - but I really don't see where it would hurt anything. The truck is designed with the T/H - the pressure it creates is not going to be outside of it's design.

Any help :dunno

Ron

I agree. On really cold days here in the Northeast, I run the truck in T/H to asssist the engine in getting up to operating temperature. Once there, I turn it off. No problems.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I run T/H to warm up mine on these freezing mornings. It helps a lot. It has done nothing to my truck as far as the tranny goes. I have 55,000 + miles.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i drive with tow haul on all the time when i have the trailers hooked up.
lets see
1600 mile round trip going out we were loaded to just under 7k in the trailer,
coming back less than 1500lbs (empty)

WOW got a whole 11.0 mpg :eek: whether we were trucking at 70 or 75 mph, ice or no ice, rain and head winds,
but tow haul helped trememdously.
it helped in those THERE IS a rest area right hand stops.
I like the downshifting to help braking
the longer upshifts to OD is sometimes tooooo long and it has to get to 50 before it will shift up
but as far as helping with the load i think it is a great asset
and the built in controller adjusted well to my changing loads and changing raod conditions. no lock up of trailer brakes on the whole trip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58