Question Towing capacity

halo006

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have a 99 f350 super duty lariat dually 7.3 diesel. With airlift system. Charts show that I can pull 12,500 lbs. recently I upgraded with cold air intake, larger down pipe, larger exhaust system, 6 point chip. This gives me up to 160 more horsepower and up to 200 more ft lbs of torque. What I need to know is how much more weight can I tow. I currently have a 5th wheel that weighs about 12000 lbs loaded. I want to buy a new 5th wheel that weights 16000+ loaded. Will my truck handle this. Truck only has 130k miles on it and is in excellent condition. Have a new curt24k hitch. Appreciate any help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how much Power you have... The GCVWR of yer truck remains the same.

The Air Lift set-up can bump things up a bit, but with 16K in tow... it's all about the Pin weight now.

Brake, Tire, Wheel and Spring set capacity comes into play too ?

Joe

On Edit: when/if you get the 16K 5r... take it (loaded) to a CAT scale. The axel weights will tell you exactly where you're at.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 16,500 LB fifth wheel with my 06 6.0 and it does a good job with it. Only up grade I have is a cat-less 4 in exhaust. One of my running buddy's has the same fifth wheel
I have, and the same truck you have and he pulled it everywhere before he got Alzheimer and we had to quit running the roads together. Your transmission will be the weak part
of your truck now that you have added that much power. If your going to be doing lots of traveling you need to have a "Built transmission" and a 6.0 transmission cooler added
to your truck. Good Luck, hope you come back often.
Doug

ATT. BigJoe, we sure getting a lot of us old camping farts on here.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate it. I think the Stock pin weight for the truck is 2700lbs

;tu

Doug adds a VERY good Point.. about the Tranny being a possible weak link.. without additional/better cooling added. The exhaust flow is a BIG point to ?

We too travel with folks pulling heavier Rigs, some with F-250's & 2500's. They do just fine but are Mex'd out, or a bit overweight ?

The fact you have a DRW is a plus.. for stability.. IMO.

Joe

PS: I hear ya Doug.. lots of us Ol' RV'rs on here these dayz. Love'n it.. 40+ years at it... and still can't wait for the next "Road Trip".

halo006

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you guys helping with this. The 5er i am looking at weighs 13800 with freshwater tank filled all others empty. Pin weight is 1850. This truck belonged to my father in law who passed away a few years ago. He towed a 5er. When you mentioned a transmission cooler I looked under the hood and there is a cooler in front of the radiator. Don,t know if it is a transmission or oil cooler Rebuilt transmission was installed about 4 years ago

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yer truck has an stock/OEM transmission fluid cooler.. but most everyone has found (the hard way) that the stock trans cooler doesn't have enough cooling capability for pulling any weight.. LONG TERM.

What we're talking about is adding a Bigger/Better [additional] cooler... or the trans cooler for a 6.0 PSD.. which IS .. Bigger & Better than yer stock 99, 7.3 cooler.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Joe is right. The stock tranny cooler will NOT keep your tranny cool enough while pulling your trailer. Change it to at least a 6.0 tranny cooler. Easy change and it works!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what gears you have in the rear-end, some of the 1999's F-350 DRW came with 373 gears.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58