Towing in overdrive

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious how many of you tow in overdrive and what kind of problems have related from doing that?

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
I tow in overdrive, but only about 7500 lbs. I still have to take it out for hills due to my "slightly" tall tires and the EGT's tendency to skyrocket.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
8500 lbs and there is no other way to go than OD for the flat highway. 50 mph on rolling hills I knock it out of OD if it is shifting in and out. They are made to tow in OD.
Jim

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I was just curious how many of you tow in overdrive
All the time
and what kind of problems have related from doing that?
None at all.

I towed a 8,000 lbs trailer for 250,000 miles, had to replace the tranny at about 165,000 miles, which is pretty normal all things considered.

My biggest problem was getting it to stay in O/D. I eventually found the cause of the problem was the early 99 PCM and the XLE programing. When I got a 99.5 PCM with a DP-Tuner 80hp econo tune, it would tow up the steepest hills around in O/D with throttle and EGT to spare. :thumbs

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
I tow in OD all the time, 12K 5th wheel, no probs at all. 246K miles on original stock tranny.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kind of hoping I wasn't the only one that towed in OD.:D It is just way to hard to justify towing in 3rd gear especially when I drive about 110 kph (70 mph) on the highway. The rpm's get to high and don't forget the fact that these diesels will pull anything up anywhere.:thumbs

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time you need to take it out of OD is when it starts hunting for gears... from OD to 3rd and back and forth... or when the EGT's are high...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58