towing package hp

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much and if the horsepower varied with and without the towing package option. Mine is a 2000 with 235hp without the towing package. I was told that with the towing package you got about 30hp.

Also wondering if there is any way to get the towing package horse power without a chip. I suppose that would mean a trip to the dealership if it is even possible.

Thanks
Gail

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
towing package in fords trucks does not normally equate to higher horsepower

now in crown vics you can get a higher output engine for towing in teh performance package.
but as for the superduties, all three engines are rated the same whether you got tow package or no tow package.
if your unlucky enough to get a 5.4 in a superduty , you arent going to be rated to pull much at all
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/2006_F250-350.pdf
its all about gearing

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
A guy I know up here has a '99 with 265hp and his is a dualie with the towing package. Maybe he can't read numbers or it varried from year to year.
Another person I know has a '02 with 250hp is what I thought he said.
I was just wondering what some other 7.3 superduty owners had for stock horse power on the engine sticker.

Thanks again

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock 2000 F350 drw 7.3l auto only pulled 191 Hp and 374 Tq on the dyno.
This is with no mods the way it came from the factory. Also remember this is to the ground rear wheel hp and tq he was prob. stating what the truck makes at the flywheel just as ford does in their books. You loose about 15% thru the transmition. As far as more with towing package Nada all you get is the hitch and the trailer wires ran to the bumper.

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In mid-02 they bumped the HP from 235-250. I don't think the towing package did anything for you HP wise.

Have a good one,
Dav

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Usually the tow packages are for suspension and cooling. Some may have a bigger alternator. I have never heard of a hp increase for the tow package. But I may be wrong. What do I know??

Dave

catdsltech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dmftoy1 said:
In mid-02 they bumped the HP from 235-250. I don't think the towing package did anything for you HP wise.

Have a good one,
Dav
My '01 auto is stickered @250hp

Jared

Blowby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No HP in the tow package. My 2000 had 235hp on the sticker and dynoed at about 190 also. 250hp is on the newer PSD's 01 or 02 and up. To the crank that is not the rear wheels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl