Towing

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone pull trailers over 10,000 pounds with a chip ? And if so any problems ?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone pull trailers over 10,000 pounds with a chip ? And if so any problems ?

I do, with a Quadzilla Programmer.. in the 75HP mode.. No problems, with a 12K Montana 5r in tow.

Real good power.. 10~12 MPGs. But thats with other Mods that increase efficiency too.

Joe

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, with a Quadzilla Programmer.. in the 75HP mode.. No problems, with a 12K Montana 5r in tow.

Real good power.. 10~12 MPGs. But thats with other Mods that increase efficiency too.

Joe

That's great mileage, and lot's of power. I don't think I've ever seen better then 8 MPG. I have to make sure that the engine is staying cool I think first.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I pulled my 10k 5th wheel for four hrs at 70mph one time. After I unhooked from it I noticed a whining from the drive train. 2 months later I had to rebuild my transmission because the torque converter started going out. I had my chip set on the 50 pull tune. I would suggest upgradding the torque converter and adding a shift kit before trying to pull with a tuner.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great mileage, and lot's of power. I don't think I've ever seen better then 8 MPG. I have to make sure that the engine is staying cool I think first.

Those MPGs are with a 6 speed. Maybe some of the other Auto guys will chime in (?), I think 10+ towing, is not unheard of though.. if you beef Trany things up a bit.

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those MPGs are with a 6 speed. Maybe some of the other Auto guys will chime in (?), I think 10+ towing, is not unheard of though.. if you beef Trany things up a bit.

Joe

I got 9 mpg without the tranny beef-up....maybe your being a dually BIG JOE, that may have helped as well

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trailer is 16.500+ and is 12.10 tall and I am right on 10 MPG. I run 65 to 68 most of the time, just got back off of a 3058 mile trip though 9 states and truck did great.

Doug

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pull a goose neck dump trailer and a lot of the times I am usually 15+ and use the hypertech max energy programmer. I have boost and pyrometer gauges and would recommend that anyone pulling a load with a chip or programmer have. Never had any problems though. I have a good flowing exhaust which helps keep it cool and keep the pedal to the metal.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a goose neck dump trailer and a lot of the times I am usually 15+ and use the hypertech max energy programmer. I have boost and pyrometer gauges and would recommend that anyone pulling a load with a chip or programmer have. Never had any problems though. I have a good flowing exhaust which helps keep it cool and keep the pedal to the metal.

What kind of truck do you have ?

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an early 99 Ford F 250 with a six speed transmission. It is a short bed extended cab four wheel drive. It is a great truck. I am 29 years old and plan on this truck being the last truck I ever buy. I take the best of care of it and want it to last as long as I do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58