Towing

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read Diesel Power magazine from cover to cover every month.
Lots of write up on the subject.

I fooled my 6.5L GM diesel years ago and gained 40% or more on fuel millage by using a $3.25 Pot, but the turbo pressure had to be monitored closely so as not to allow the engine to defuel.

IIRC, they recently ran a test of several programmers so I don't know how they came up with the fooler idea.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Thats what I have been calling the chips for the last 12 years, GM sites that I was on when I owned the 6.5L we use the term a lot, and we had to install our own chips because there was hardly any supports those days. My truck was only getting 16MPG and work hard to improve the millage during warranty and I was told the same story its normal, but I knew it was not right.

After warranty over, I installed a pot to fool the turbo pressure and the millage went to 23MPG and the truck pep was just like a new truck that I had complained to the dealer, it did not have for 5 years.

The difference using the Hypertech E-Con is the same. The Idle is smoother, hardly press the accelerator and it moves along like a much lighter truck, better then when stock programmed.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I have been calling the chips for the last 12 years, GM sites that I was on when I owned the 6.5L we use the term a lot, and we had to install our own chips because there was hardly any supports those days. My truck was only getting 16MPG and work hard to improve the millage during warranty and I was told the same story its normal, but I knew it was not right.

After warranty over, I installed a pot to fool the turbo pressure and the millage went to 23MPG and the truck pep was just like a new truck that I had complained to the dealer, it did not have for 5 years.

The difference using the Hypertech E-Con is the same. The Idle is smoother, hardly press the accelerator and it moves along like a much lighter truck, better then when stock programmed.

Banks is basically a fooler because it hooks in line with the ICP sensor and fools the ECM into thinking that it has lower pressure than there is so it cranks up the pressure. A lot of the others like DP-Tuner, Swamps, TW, etc, etc, have a chip that hooks into the J3 port and overrides the ECM program and has a totally different program. If you want, DP-Tuner can reprogram your entire PCM so it doesn't have the stock program anymore

I believe the 10K mod or like what Banks has which is a variable resistor so you have different power levels also does that. The good thing is that it does what you talk about. The bad thing is that it is like a gas car where you crank up the timing by advancing the distributor and it feels good. HOWEVER, what you don't know is the engine requirements. For instance, more timing makes the engine feel good but too much is bad (detonation and then a new engine). At one point, it might need more advance and that makes you feel good. On another point, it might be detonating but not so you can hear it. So, without a dyno and sensor feedback, you don't really know what it is doing AT EVERY POINT and thus, might not be doing the best for the engine on the whole but what you can tell is that one point is good. Also, you do realize that the dealer has to sell you a truck that will pass emissions so power is not the foremost thing on their mind.

Yes but just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is the same. Hyperjunk, Supercraps and what not also load a totally different program. It isn't simply "dump more fuel" or "advance timing". It also does other things. Dumping more fuel without proper advance isn't good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58