Question Trading '03 for '08 or newer.......

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
.......so I am thinking of "upgrading" my current '03 6.0 and getting an '08-'10 6.4. I haven't done much research on the 6.4's, but reading through some of the posts, it seems as though most people are happy with them except for the mileage. I have the EGR delete, upgraded turbo, new FICM and new injectors on my 6.0. I have been happy with it, but I REALLY love the looks and interior of the newer trucks.

Any suggestions? If I do "trade up", I plan on driving the truck straight to my mechanic and doing whatever EGR / DP delete thing I need to do and whatever else the wonderful and intelligent minds of this forum recommend! :hail

Thanks in advance!!!!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well go for a 2010 they have alittle better mileage then the 08. If you can do the DPF delete with tuner, the EGR's are a lot better on the 6.4. Dont get anything taller then a 4.10 gear. Watch out for taller gears with the 6.4. The motor has had some problems with rod nocking at high RPM's. This is what my dealer told me to watch for when looking for a truck.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the 09 to 10 had like 3.50 gears which helped out a lot on mileage.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled with the 3.73 gears that came in my truck. All of my other trucks had 4.10's. No mileage there.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58