Trailer Batteries

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, have a prob.

Bought my 2005 Jayflight new last July. We used it a couple of times before the weather got bad, had no problems and love the trailer.

This year we used it first on Memorial Day and out batteries did not last very long at all. I figured that we just did not have a good charge to begin with since we did not have a trailer hookup through the winter and had just had one installed a month before.

Since then, I had the trailer hookup re-installed. (blew a breaker, found out the electrician that installed it the first time jerry rigged it, 2 different sizes of wire, old breakers, etc...). Now we have an actual 30 amp trailer connector and proper breakers.

So, last week we go camping in Utah, and our batteries do not last again, (good thing I bought the Honda EU2000i). Last year when we took this trip, our batteries lasted the whole time we were there.

My question is, (sorry this is so long), could my batteries be damaged from going through most of the winter not being plugged in? Or are the batteries provided with most trailers, not the best. Is there a better battery set up that anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Barrett

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if they were low or discharged through some feezing weather, there is a good chance they are sulfated and shorting out inside which is killing them

I would ensure you battery charge circuit for the trailers converter is working correctly when your on shore power
then ditch the old battery and get a new one
if you dry camp alot then a good deep cycle is best
if you use shorepower mostly then a good marine staring battery works great,
we have two interstate rv/marine starting batteries. my converter must be ok , after 1 year and a month th ewater hasnt boiled out or down

aslo your truck should charge your trailer battery while your tooling down the road.
remember if the battery you have in it now was there when you bought the trailer......... its probably marginal at best to start with,

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Barrett,

Just my .02 here but.. Batteries, off the RV lot, are useualy/sometimes, not the best. A good set of 750cca Deep Cycle batts, fresh from a reputable battery vendor is the way to go... after about a year or so from purchaseing the RV.

3 years ago, I bought a pair of 750cca "Blue Top", Deep Cycle, Dry Cells from Sears. I'm very happy with them. No leaking, build-up around the post.... or maintenence other than inspection. We've gone 5 days on Battery power.... being mindfull/concervative but never the less... 5 full days. 4 lights showing, out of 5, on the little Batt Cond. thingy/checker.

I've also installed a "Master Switch" between the RV converter and the Batts. I leave the RV plugged in at the house, but issolate the Batts, via the switch when storeing the RV. There are many opinions on this but from my exsperience in doing it, my Batts have lasted longer.

:dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what my "Blue Tops" are..... Shoulda said that,:sorry

They're a bit Pricey but I like the Sears aspect of it... No matter where you go.. there's a "SEARS" reasonably close.

Joe

dmjd2003

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New guy here!

There's alot of Info on RV.net on Batteries for RV'ers!

If you run your 12volt battery below 50% you can run into charging problems or damage your battery!
Do you not have an Inverter to charge your battery well running your Genny?

The thing is 12volt battery dont last as long compared to 6volt Golf cart battery!
Reason 12volt battery have bigger cores and only draw 70amp per hour!
6volt battery will draw 140amp per hour.

So you might think twice about using 12volt marine battery in the future!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Hello DMJD2003, Glad to have another one here from CA. Hope you like it here, post some pictures of your truck.
We have lots of RV,er on here also. Talking about just about anything here is fair game. So Welcome and hope you come back often.:welcome :welcome

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Optima Blue Tops................

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14