Trailer brake controller change (just a comment)

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after messing with the tension forever (or so it seems) I've pulled the Jordan controller out and replaced it with a Prodigy. I really liked the idea of the Jordan but I couldn't get it to stop binding up. As soon as I got it adjusted to come on with the truck brakes, it wouldn't release all the way. When I would get it to release, I had the truck brakes applied halfway or more before it would come on. I just couldn't find that happy medium. I had the lazy "S's" in it, changed how I routed it, even used one of those brake cable adjusters from a bike so it wouldn't slip and get loose. So...out it came. Guess we'll see if the Prodigy is as good as people say it is. I know my brother-in-law sure likes it in his truck.

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
I have had the Prodigy now for a couple of years and it is by far the best brake controller I have used for the money. I like the Brake smart and if the Prodigy gives out I may go with that unit but it is pricey.
FMT

Reaction score
I went through several sleeves for that cable. Jordan's are good when you can get them to work right - otherwise a royal pain. And putting any kind of lube in it just makes it worse. My last straw with the Jordan was pulling a 12K+ that locked all four tires and would not release - on the interstate. Flat spotted two of the tires so bad they had to be replaced.

Now I have the BrakeSmart - excellent unit - zero problems in just about a year now.

Ron

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who had issues with the Jordan. I'm going to have to save a few more pennies before I get a BrakeSmart installed. We're going to a penning this Thursday so I'll find out how the Prodigy l works then. The only thing I'm concerned with is settiing it up. I know it wants you to take the trailer out and test the settings but an empty horse trailer is lighter than a camping trailer. Guess I'll get a hold of Tekonsha and see what they say.

Reaction score
Rookie said:
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who had issues with the Jordan. I'm going to have to save a few more pennies before I get a BrakeSmart installed.

And well worth saving all those pennies for :sweet

The big deal in the BrakeSmart verse any other controller is that you don't have to keep setting the gain, etc when you have a full or empty trailer. Taps into your brake system.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58