Trailer Brake Controller

RedPenguin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I just bought myself a 16ft. flatbed trailer with brakes, but I don't have the necessary plug connector on my truck to use the brake lights(I currently have a pigtail connector spliced into wiring) and I figure since I don't have the necessary plug I might as well install a brake controller as well.

First question,"What kind of cash am I going to be looking at spending for this thing?"

Second question, "How hard is it to install this stuff?"

Third Question, "What sort of plugs and controllers do you recommend?"(I ask that because I've seen plugs that have the pigtail connectors and 6 pin plug and there are two types of brake controllers)

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy. Got it off eBay for like $90 if I remember right. On my Super Duty there was a harness I could buy for it, total plug and play operation, dunno for your truck though.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for my '96 f150 i bought a molded plastic T connecter that allowed
me to connect a 4-wire trailer connector into the factory wiring
harness (avoiding the conventional splicing)...walmart sells 'em in
the automotive/trailer section.

google is your friend "trailer brake controller" <- results.

i bought a Hayes Genesis from BRAKE CONTROLLER dot COM

the Genesis is the only controller that allows you to display CURRENT
drawl of the brakes (w/ that display option you can determine if
ALL the brakes are working)...it allows voltage or % display too.

i painted mine BLACK (cant stand chrome)....and mounted it UNDER the
dash (close to the floor air duct)

the BEST controller is the BRAKE SMART controller.
its a TRUE progressive controller (and i believe FORD modeled its
factory brake controller after brakesmart

the brakesmart uses brake/fluid PRESSURE sensor and converts the
pressure to an electrical signal for the brakes.

brakesmart AINT cheap though (435 plus the specific wiring).

your problem is gonna be the brake harness wiring (since i assume the
95 isnt set up / prewired for a brake controller)...im sure someone makes
the wiring/harness you need...its just a matter of having to run the
wiring.

again consult this forum, google and brakecontroller.com

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Be very wary of plug-in t-connector harnesses
View attachment 5145

and even more so of just tapping into the wiring using "Scotch-lok" connectors.
yhst-28505188400710_1947_1619397

The first reason is that, in either case, by directly adding the trailer's lights to the tow vehicle's marker light circuit, one can overload the circuit, overheat & melt the headlight switch and associated wiring. I've seen it happen twice.

Secondly, be even more cautious of the Scotch-lok connector method. Corrosion of the wiring is why. When you use a Scotch-lok, you are cutting into the protective insulation of the wire in a part of the vehicle prone to exposure to corrosive elements. Over a period of time, road salt ladden moisture and other corrosive elements can penetrate past the insulation and will eat the copper wiring in rapid fashion. I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago when the tail lights on my old 86 GMC 1/2 quit working. I eventually narrowed down the "break" in the tail light wiring, Low & behold there was a Scotch-lok was right in that spot.

By far, the best way to go about it is to use the towing wiring harness at the rear of the truck up under the rear bumper, if there is one there. These are circuits designed to avoid overheating the wiring & headlight switch. Frequently, these circuits even have their own fuses separate from the taillights and brake lights on the tow vehicle. Most full size pickups made in the last 10 years or so will have this harness. Any vehicle with a factory towing package will have that harness also.

If there is no towing harness available, then the T-connector is the best available way to go. At least it offers some protection to the wiring from corrosive elements.

Last edited:

dmjd2003

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Might save you time if you just went to your Local RV dealer and have them install one for you! Might cost you $100.00 more or less?
Camping world would do it too, just bring your tralier with you so they can see your set up!

RedPenguin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I currently have the scotch lok method but I"m thinking I"m gunna take it off and buy the T-connector. I did some research on a controller and I think I'm gunna use the prodigy controller

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would you pay someone 100 bucks to PLUG IN a brake controller...

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
why would you pay someone 100 bucks to PLUG IN a brake controller...

Installing my Prodigy was a little trickier than just "plugging it in" but definitely not worth $100. I had to lay upside down on the front seats with my legs in the back seat for 20 minutes trying to fanangle that thing in there!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they charged my brother 80 bucks for PLUGGING in his controller on
his durasnax...

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
my prodigy pluged in. the wires were all there, just needed to be hooked up with a plug in harness and 7 way plug at the gate. spent less than $200 bettween hardware, parts, and booze.

never use cheep crmip type connectors, im learning the hard way that nothing ever beats solder. well at least my soldering:sly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14