Trailer brake wiring

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
are you guys mounting them within the "tilt range" specified for your controller? some have mercury switches and limited mounting ranges... just throwing it out there :)

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yup. the prodigy is very flexable and gives you a different signal for to far vertical or to far horazontal. but thanks for trying.

im going to look at the 7 way plug one more time. still cant understand why the breakaway brake thing dosent work. not much there just a ground, recharge, and blue brake wire. please help me, I hate to take it somewear just to have them charge me and it still not work. is there a thing you can plug into the plug and it will check the connection????

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes they make a test unit that plugs into the 7way and can test each circuit. Most RV and trailer places use them. They cost to much for a one time use . Does everything else work right ?
What about back-up lights ? Sometimes these get crossed with trailer brakes.
I just replaced my 7way today.

Yellow-turn
Green-turn
Black-12v hot
White-ground
Blue-trailer brakes
Brown-tail lights
Red-backup lights

Use a test light on truck side and make sure the truck is ok then try trailer side . Should have a box where all the wires are hooked up on trailer.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Update....

Well... I went to the trailer shop in palatine and found a really nice guy. who told me all about how to set up electric brakes and what to expect from one axel and two axel and what draw they will have and how much i can send threw them and all that fun stuff. He checked everything and it was all good but added a ground to the brake ground wire to help with the break-away box. But when he checked them he did somthing totally diffrent. He jacked up the back... :doh: . I was rocking the trailer back and forth and not letting them engage thinking they just didint work. well what ever. We came to the conclusion that I was cranking to much power from the prodigy through the cheep brakes that I have. sounds good, but right before I got back (spending a couple miles on the freeway) the prodigy went into the worst overload spaz yet! So I get home and up she went. got the ol lady out to help pull the manual lever over as I spun one weel ok and the other sent the prodigy crazy. Pulled the wheel off and found that the two green wires were pulled into the hub and were randomly grounding out into the drum. Sooo. some jerk (me) pulled the wires to tight when he re wired the brakes.

heres a few befor and after pics enjoy. hope this will help somone in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58