trailer hookup........

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Posting this for my brother........

He hooked up and plugged into the 7 wire connection on his brand new 06 and the trailer brake control does not work, lights and signals work just no brakes. The 4 pin works fine.

Where does he need to start looking, he's waiting on a call from the dealership service people but I figured this would be faster.

TIA

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
jharvey said:

He hooked up and plugged into the 7 wire connection on his brand new 06 and the trailer brake control does not work, lights and signals work just no brakes. The 4 pin works fine.

Where does he need to start looking, he's waiting on a call from the dealership service people but I figured this would be faster.

TIA
Mine had some relays that had to be installed by the owner. They were in the glovebox along with the wiring needed to hook up brake controller. On the 06 I couldn't tell ya, especially if has the factory controller. Budro

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Well we couldn't figure it out so he's taking it in to Ford Monday morning to see what's wrong.

You would think that a 40k truck with a built in brake controller wouldn't need anything else to work but what do I know??

I'll let you know what he finds out

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake controller

jharvey said:
Well we couldn't figure it out so he's taking it in to Ford Monday morning to see what's wrong.

You would think that a 40k truck with a built in brake controller wouldn't need anything else to work but what do I know??

I'll let you know what he finds out
I have a 2006 F-350 and the man who instealed my fifth wheel hitch, made a ex-cord and pluged it into the plug at the back of the truck (turned plug around)and it works great. He wouldn't cut any of the wires to wire in a new plug. I use the big RV plug. :confused: Hope this helps.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I know you already checked the fuse for the TBC, so next look at the ground wire at the rear frame on the drivers side, its about 15 inches forward of the rear bumper. its a big ground for the whole rear and the plugs. However if the 4 pin is working I would think its ok. and just do a courtesy look.

the connector on the back of the TBC could also be not connected solidly

maybe I helped

jharvey said:

TIA

fordfreek

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
tailer plug

jharvey said:

TIA
i just got a 06 and havent had any problem with trailer brakes other than the fact if you have a bad connection on the white brake wire the computer beeps and tells you to check trailer but if its clean and make a good contact i havent had any trouble!!

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Well we found out what was wrong without going to the dealer.........

The brakes were not wired on the trailer, wires were there but not hooked up. You'd think a brand new trailer would be ready to go but......... :dunno

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I hooked up my controller...just had to wire it to the supplied harness and plug it in...but when I hooked up to the trailer it wouldn't work right. I thought I did something wrong.

Finally took the trailer apart, and not only were the shoes not adjusted out, but all four of the bearing retaining nuts were loose...I guess they forgot to get this one ready. I'm just glad it didn't ruin the bearings, only the grease.

Glad you found the problem.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
My brand new pace trailer had the very same issue.
the wires at teh axle to connect to the brakes were not attatched.
funny huh -mad
jharvey said:
Well we found out what was wrong without going to the dealer.........

The brakes were not wired on the trailer, wires were there but not hooked up. You'd think a brand new trailer would be ready to go but......... :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg