Trailer requirements for IL

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
just bought one of thoes low cost trailers in TN and it pulls good n all. but it didint even come with a license plate braket. so I was hoping for some info on the laws here in IL. its a 18' tandem with one axel brake 5k coupler no serial#

what I think I know:

- its over 80" wide so I need a triple light in the middle of the back not sure if it needs to be a certin hight though.

- its over 80" wide so I need amber marker lights along the side. not sure where along the side though.

- I will not be GVW higher than 5000 so I wont need a break away brake system

if any one knows what i need to do or like a user freindly web site (idot site i found sucks) with all requierments any help is deffinitly apprechiated.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
If it doesn't have side marker lights on it you need to put them on. I would recommend putting rubber mounted LED lights in the side. I don't have a 3 bar on my trailers because they always get broke. I haven't been hassled most likely because all the other lights are working properly.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
well short of stoping off at my local PD I dont think I can find any answers. so I just went and figured that they were going to check brakes, lights and send me on my way.... nope nothing took my money and gave me my plate. it could be 6 peices of wood ducktaped togeather and it would pass (makes me wonder what out there). so im figuring its up to the highway patrol men and women to point out things to me along with a ticket. well since I cant afford to lose my licence I went ahead and installed a breake away kit, four clearance lights at the front upper corners, the front of the wheel wells, three red lights in center on the rear, and 75 bucks later I think im done. hope this helps somone surching in the future.

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
You need rear and front clearance lights mounted as far back and front as "practical" on the side. The fronts are ambers and the rears red. After a certain length I think is when you need the middle one(s), but I like them anyway on the fender like I think you did them to help when backing up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58