trailer wiring

jto89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so i just hooked up to my trailer today and i have no running lights. i have trailer brakes, turn signals, and brake lights. any help will be greatly appreciated. oh by the way the truck is a 03 350 with factory trailer harness and i have a tekonsha voyager brake controller.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
so i just hooked up to my trailer today and i have no running lights. i have trailer brakes, turn signals, and brake lights. any help will be greatly appreciated. oh by the way the truck is a 03 350 with factory trailer harness and i have a tekonsha voyager brake controller.

most likely, you have a open wire on the trailer...

I tell ya, I've done thousands of trailer repairs, and if nothing else, it's in the pigtail for the connector..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely, you have a open wire on the trailer...

I tell ya, I've done thousands of trailer repairs, and if nothing else, it's in the pigtail for the connector..

X2.

Also check the junction box, where the pigtail connects to the trailer. the wirenuts like to come loose after a while.

jto89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry i forgot to mention that i did that and i plugged into my dads fiver and my friends trailer to and its all the same. i also plugged my dads pickup into them all and they all worked but there not working on mine foe some reason. i had a cap on the truck when i bought it and they tied into the trailer wiring for the third brake light do you think that could be the problem?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry i forgot to mention that i did that and i plugged into my dads fiver and my friends trailer to and its all the same. i also plugged my dads pickup into them all and they all worked but there not working on mine foe some reason.[ i had a cap on the truck when i bought it and they tied into the trailer wiring for the third brake light do you think that could be the problem?]

Very well could be where they tied in.. you might check the places where they tapped in.. for open wires, like JLD said :dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
X2 on the fuse.

The fuse should should be in the power box under the hood.
There are separate fuses for:
Left Brake/turn signal light
Right Brake/turn signal light
Tail/marker lights
12v power feed (commonly used for battery charging on campers)
Brake control power
Back-up lights on the trailer (also used for reverse lock-out solenoids for trailers w/hydraulic surge brakes)

jto89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
okay thanks guys i will check them tommorw and let you know what i find.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen, as mentioned above it was the fuse under the hood. It blew when I flat towed my parents jeep (no diode to prevent feedback).

jto89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
All set... it was the fuse under my dash. apparently my truck dosent have a under hood fuse box. but anyways thank you for the advice

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58