TRANNY COOLER SWAP

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
Has anyone done a 7.3 to 6.0 tranmission cooler swap. I got a good deal on one and since I'm installing the transmission I'd like to put this in also. Seems to me I read on this site or possibly another of someone who had done this swap and I'd like some advice before I start instead of afterwards:D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Swapping the coolers shouldnt be a major hassle, just check all your fittings prior too the swap to make sure you have all the correct peices. From that point forward it should be a no-brainer.

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
Yes me too. Any advice to make my new BTS tranny run cooler and at its best.

Brian
2001 F-350 Lariat CC LWB SRW Soon to have a new BTS tranny

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
swapped!

:cool: Okay , the cooler which is 2 1/2 times larger than the original bolted right in, but the lines are 1/2" on the 6.0 cooler and need to be converted to 3/8 lines. So I ran to the auto parts store and the hardware store and bought a piece of new 3/8" tranny line and of 1/2" I.D. hydrauilic hose and two 1/2" barbed brass fittings and two 3/8" barbed fittings and a pair of couplers and some new clamps. The hoses run into the bottom instead of the top on the 6.0 cooler so I disconnected the lines where the rubber hose meets the pipe and ran the new lines. I'm thinking of changing the couplers to 90 degree elbows though so the lines will run tighter to the frame. I think it will work great. I'll fill it in the morning if it will pour at below freezing temperatures!:thumbs

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian at BTS put a tranmission cooler from a V-10 on a friend of mine's truck a year or two ago and he says it sure keeps the temp down on his 1999 7.3 CrewCab Duelly. Brian has done great things for his truck. Good luck on yours

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I did mine last year. It's really quite easy. The nice thing is the 6.0 cooler bolts right up where the 7.3 was. No hassle at all. It makes a huge difference to the colling in the tranny.:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14