Tranny difference diesel and gas

LeeParsons

High tech redneck
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the 6 speed (ZF6) transmission for the gas rigs and diesel rigs? Reason I ask, tranny shop quoted me $1500.00 to rebuild the tranny then called back and said it will be $2100.00 becuase it is a diesel. Are the parts different for the diesel trans or is it another case of if I can afford a diesel I can pay more to have things fixed?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
LeeParsons said:
Is there a difference in the 6 speed (ZF6) transmission for the gas rigs and diesel rigs? QUOTE]
I don't THINK so... Maybe the clutch assembly is different, but I can't imagine that Ford would spend the extra money/hassle/storage space/parts department space to have two different trannies for the V10 and the diesel. It wouldn't make any sense? :dunno

Norcal250

Gimp member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
LeeParsons said:
Is there a difference in the 6 speed (ZF6) transmission for the gas rigs and diesel rigs? QUOTE]
I don't THINK so... Maybe the clutch assembly is different, but I can't imagine that Ford would spend the extra money/hassle/storage space/parts department space to have two different trannies for the V10 and the diesel. It wouldn't make any sense? :dunno
You're right hoss.. it doesnt make sense...

600 bucks extra for a clutch assembly is ridiculous if thats the case... could be the input shaft, which is also ridiculous... or PTO outputs... :dunno

if you go to Yahoo autos and build a car, you'll see that they do offer 2 different trans, one for gas and one for diesel... says the diesel manual trans includes a "PTO provision"... my V10 ZF superduty had PTO outputs on it tho...:dunno so that might not be the case...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
The auto's are different arent they Hoss?
You're asking the wrong guy. As far as I know, the only difference in trannies, either auto or manual, in the 99-2003 7.3 engine was the clutch (and this may not even be true) and the torque converter. But I have no idea, I am just applying logical thought and the fact that I've never heard of a difference. It just wouldn't make sense for them to have parts for two different ZF-6 tranny setups between diesel and gas, especially when the horsepower and torque outputs of the 7.3 and the V10 were so close. The rear ends are the same, transfer cases, front ends. Why would the trans be different? :dunno

As far as the clutch setup being different, $600 bucks seems pretty steep for a diesel upkick, especially when the diesel clutch I bought (which was top of the line with a new flywheel) was only $750. You can get factory replacement LUK VALEO clutches for $350. As far as PTO output is concerned, as I understand it, the ZF-6 has one, period. It is not an option. So, there shouldn't be any difference between diesel and gas there, either.

I am at a loss as to what they have found to be different between the two transmissions. De-Re of the diesel tranny should not be any different that de-re of the gasser, so I can't see why that would mean anything.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I can't think of any difference that would cost $600 bucks, unless they think the truck has a dual-mass flywheel that they need to change with the rebuild. Of course, with the 99 + rigs, that was not an issue, so :dunno

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I think I would politely call and ask for a detailed explanation of the difference justifying the increase and then call somewhere else and check it out.

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
bell housing and clutch on a diesel is different than on a gas and IIRC the bellhousing on a zf6 is a part of the main housing so at that point anything could be different.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought diesel trannys were a closer ratio than the gas burning ones?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14