Tranny Fluid

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys my truck just rolled over 100K :D and I need to change the tranny fluid. I currently have the regular non synthetic fluid in it and am thinking of changing to synthetic. ive been told to keep the non synthetic becuase it is not as slippery as synthetic, thus keeping the shifting firm. what do you all think?

Jourdan

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I've been running Amsoil in mine with no problems. I know that Brian (BTS) recommends and uses Shaeffers full synthetic.

Scott

JRJ04

Reaction score
have you noticed an improvement in shifts and how the tranny operates with the synthetic? what about mileage?

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. However, the problem is that I had a BTS VB and now a BTS trans so the fluid part is not even in the equation. I got synthetic because it is better from the standpoint that it is not as affected by heat. Also I change every 30K.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Brian change mine out at 26000 miles and he put in Shaeffers full synthetic. I left there pulling my Fifth wheel and everything seams to be just great. I will change it again at about 50,000 miles if all goes well.
My MPG didn't pick up any if that is what you mean?
JRJ04, it would be nice to know what truck you have and where you are from, You must have a 2004, but just guessing.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
synthetic trans fluid just flows better at low temperatures (like O*F) because the base fluid has a shorter molecule.

What governs how a slippery a fluid is in your transmission is the additive package (Dexron, II, III, +III, IV, V, V+, Mercon, Mercon V, Type F, etc.

The service interval has nothing to do with the base fluid, it's governed on how long the additive package lasts.

Do yourself a favor... change it when your owners manual says so

JRJ04

Reaction score
WD40, sorry about that. somehow my signature got deleted. ive got an '02 7.3L, f250 with auto tranny, superchip, k&n air intake, and 4 inch xhaust turbo to tip.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I once was told by a trans shop if you wait that long to change your trany fluid that the trans is probably bad hence all the metalic coloring in the fluid, and if you were to change it you would take all that (which is the clutch pack material) out of the equation and then the trans would soon let go. Is this not true??? I had purchased mine at 40K and did my first change at 60K with motorcraft stuff and was planning to do my next change at 120K I dont tow much and when I do its not a lot of distance or weight. am I wrong in all this??-popcorn -popcorn -popcorn -popcorn

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you wait too long to change the fluid, garbage collects in the nooks and crannies of the valve body, accumulators, clutch piston bores, etc. This scores the seals or bores & leads to "failure"

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once was told by a trans shop if you wait that long to change your trany fluid that the trans is probably bad hence all the metalic coloring in the fluid, and if you were to change it you would take all that (which is the clutch pack material) out of the equation and then the trans would soon let go. Is this not true??? I had purchased mine at 40K and did my first change at 60K with motorcraft stuff and was planning to do my next change at 120K I dont tow much and when I do its not a lot of distance or weight. am I wrong in all this??-popcorn -popcorn -popcorn -popcorn

Sounds like an old wive's tale to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14