Tranny Fluid

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
I need to change my tranny oil some say mercron 3 and some say mercron 5 but not sure what 1 to use now is mercron 3 the same as dextron 3 i need some help :dunno

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless there has been a change, I though the auto was to use only Mercon, not 3 or 5.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the tranny fluid on my 2000 PSD w/ 4R100 transmision. The parts person at the NAPA store told me use only type 3 NOT type 5. I asked him why, he told me type 5 in my 4R100 tranny will kill it quickly. He also told me he has seen other 4R100 use type 5 - not good at all. To be safe, stick with what the manufacturer (F**D) recommends.

Butch Cassidy

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my manual says specifically do not use mercon 5... my dad had run it for a number of months and had seen MUCH higher tranny temps while towing, now running mobil 1 mercon in both his and my SD. the next month after we changed him to the mercon we went to a show and we were both probably grossing 22kish, neither of us had any tranny temp problems,

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The old days you could only use Mercon / Dextron 3. Mercon is obsolete:eek:.
Mercon V is the replacement. It has been proven safe to use in the E4OD and 4R100 trans.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14