Tranny Gauge Not Working -

Reaction score
Gauge stopped working the other day. Anyone know how to test it to see if it's the sending unit or the gauge itself?

Has power, ground looks good, etc etc.

Ron

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
You should be able to do a guage test by holding in your milage reset button while turning the key to the on position...

Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
You should be able to do a guage test by holding in your milage reset button while turning the key to the on position...

Okay - well crap I forgot all about "that" gauge - never even look at it.

What I should have said is that the "real" gauge - my Di–Pricol Gauge is not working.

Ron

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Where are you located and what is the temperature there. Mine won't even come off the peg in the winter time.

Tbar

Reaction score
Tbar said:
Where are you located and what is the temperature there. Mine won't even come off the peg in the winter time.

Tbar

Naw - it's not that. In Virginia here and we really didn't even have a winter this year. It was working one day - then the next it wasn't. Just don't know if there is someone way to measure any current off the sender or what.

Ron

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well, guess you could pull the probe out of the tranny, dip it into a pot of hot water and compare the gauge with a cooking thermometer.

Tbar

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure the OHM reading of the sending unit with a multimeter. Its most likely a bad connection or a chaffed wire somewhere.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Gauge test

For the Di-Pricol gauge turn the ignition key on without starting the truck so the gauge has power. Remove the lead from the sender and touch it to the trans case. The gauge should go full scale if it has 12VDC and good ground. If the gauge does not move and you have 12VDC and good ground, the gauge is most likely failed. Most often if the gauge goes full scale, but still does not work, the sender has been installed with teflon tape and is insulated from the trans case causing the problem or the sender is bad. If you need more help trouble shooting the gause, give us a call and we will try to help.

Reaction score
Car_nut57 said:
For the Di-Pricol gauge turn the ignition key on without starting the truck so the gauge has power. Remove the lead from the sender and touch it to the trans case. The gauge should go full scale if it has 12VDC and good ground. . . .

I um - did that by mistake and yes the gauge went full scale :eek: Tested the ground and it shows good. It's got power. No tape on the sending unit (made that mistake back in 01 on my 01). Put the ohmn meter on the lead from the sending unit right before it connects to the gauge - gave me a reading.

Like I said - it was working day and then the next nothing. Been installed for almost a year now.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58