Tranny help

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anybody knows the best chip/tuner for a 00 powerstroke??...i put a suncoast converter in and since then the 2/3 lockup is outrageously hard, like break a ujoint bad, damn thing will lockup....then pause......then BAMMMM! into third.., he said it def shoudnt be doing it ....i talked to the guys at suncoast and he said some earlier super dutys ecu's were a little harsh to begin with on the lockup, he recommended i get a newer ecu out of a newer super duty, or get a chip burned for the truck to help lessen the lockup...was just wondering if anyone ever went through any of this before and who you'd reccomend for a chip programmed just for the tranny, i allready have edge/juice w/attitude, but am all for something that would help this out, i heard the edge evolution programmer gives you some good control over the tranny, but not sure...thanx for any info

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
I would contact the Edge guys and ask if their unit might be causing the harsh shift or lockup; I think that some of the electronics firm the shift but don't know of any that soften it. If it could be firming it then ask if there is a way to program it out. If it is not possible that the Juice could be causing the harshness (like there is no trans modification in the program) then I'd be looking at mechanical (valve body/ accumulator) mods to help soften it to acceptable. If I already had the Juice and it was working OK otherwise I wouldn't be adding or swapping electronics for shift issues.

The trans line pressure is electronically controlled by the PCM, and high pressure could create harshness. So if this started right after you R&Red the trans you might want to double check any electrical connections that you disturbed in the process. Did you change anything inside the trans pan?

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input bud, i did talk to edge and they said their unit should not give me any problems like that, but who knows??....i also talked to suncoast and they said that the early super duty's had a different ecu then the later ones and sometimes you can swap ecu's or have a custom chip burned to stop the harsh lockup, then i saw ats had some cool tranny stuff so i emailed them, they were pretty cool, told me a test to do to see if it is the lockup being stupid or not, and he said if it is they'll burn me a chip to stop it, he said to just drive with two feet one barely on the brake to just turn the brake lights on and drive like that until the 2/3 shift then let off and it smoothes out, its the problem, then they can help me with a chip, i'm sure that it is it, but gonna do the test tomorrow and see. I'll keep u guys informed on what happens.thanx!!

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
Interesting. Most Ford calibrations unlock the converter when the brake is applied so I guess their test if to see if the hard shift is in the trans or converter clutch. Let us know how it turns out.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scarlet, thanx for the info, i did look into it, but now i have a greater problem, figured i'd fill you guys in, seems when i put the truck in reverse this weekend, pulling a trailer for the first time since converter was put in, it has an issue with reverse, when you step on the throttle, it just pulls the motor down and doesnt do anything, i mean it almost sounds like the truck is gonna stall....so i'm like "wtf"??????....i call suncoast, where i got the converter, they listen patiently to alll my probs with the converter, the reverse deal ( which i wasnt sure what was causing that) to how sluggish it is off the line, ver loose converter, to how it snaps your neck on the lockup. So the guy says he's gonna have a tech call me back as soon as he can, i still havent got that call, hopefully tomorrow, i'm sure they are busy. But then bout 10mins later one of the tech guys from ATS turbo call me back, i'd been waiting since last week so i could talk with them about burning a chip to get rid of the harsh lockup, well this guy was full of info about my current problem, it seems that the 4R100's have an issue with the front pumps warping, and when you take it apart, ( which you have to do installin the converter to modify the tcc) then you put it back together and it has a habit of the warp getting worse, this causes "cross leak", its leakin fluid when i put it in reverse into the lockup orifice and causing it to try and lock up, hence the severe "flare" and the motor getting pulled down when i put it in reverse, sucks right???...he goes on to tell me every tranny they do they send the pumps to the machine shop to true them up, sometimes they do them by hand with a file, either way gets the job done, then he told me, which i figured but it def made me feel better to hear it, that the converter has to be too loose, the way its set up now its makin the motor work to hard to accelerate and its costing me boost on the top end, it used to make 30lbs on level 5 on the edge, now i'm lucky to see 23 on the same level, so now suncoast is gonna have to redo the converter, tighten it up a couple hundred rpm and make sure all else is well and we gotta fix the pump. Noooo fun, lol...kinda wish i just kept the stock one in!!! except for the shudder it was better, lol...so now ijust hope when all said and done we dont go the extreme other way and make the converter too tight, but i guess we'll see, i'll let y'all know how i make out with suncoast and what they say, sorry for the rant, but figured it was interesting reading at least.

Reaction score
Turbo,

Keep us in the loop.
I bought my truck last year, so I really don't know how long I have before needing a transmission rebuild. After the mods I plan this summer, it may be sooner than later.:sweet
When I do, I probably head to BTS. I've heard nothing but good things regarding their work!!:burnit

John

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will def keep u guys in the loop bud, i talked to suncoast yesterday finally and they werent much of a help to be honest, i think i'm gonna have ats burn me the chip and see how that goes, if they can get rid of that nasty lockup i think i'll be able to live with the converter, i'm gonna put my 30 ft enclosed trailer on her before i take the tranny apart to fix the front pump and see how it tows that first before i go sending it back, they wont hook me up to even check the converter because they are "sure" that there is nothig wrong with it, and they charge minimum of 300 bucks to cut it open and make sure everythings cool. So we'll see when i get the chip and i'll let you guys know how that goes,

Vdubbugman53

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the guys from ats are good guys and they know what they are doing. they should be able to help. their shop is just down the street from me and they have helped me many of times

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vdubbugman53 said:
the guys from ats are good guys and they know what they are doing. they should be able to help. their shop is just down the street from me and they have helped me many of times

yes those guys are def great guys, always there to help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58