tranny issues

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
hey guys,
told a buddy i would post his problem for him and see what i got from you guys.

hes having a tranny problem. the only gear he has a problem with is drive. he said he puts it into drive and to get it to go into gear, he has to hit the gas. he also said it happens about half the time when he outs it into drive. he said he tows with it and everything and no problems there. anybody else have a prob like this?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your post is a bit difficult to understand so lets make sure I have it right....

when he puts the shift lever in "D" there is a delay before the transmission actually is ready to go in gear, reving it up helps then it kicks into gear.

If he puts the shift lever into "1" then it is ready to go immediately.

If my statements above are correct then there are two likely possibilities for the cause

1. sticking valves in the valve bodies - transgo tugger kit will fix this for a few hours.
2. leaking seals (likely to being too stiff from getting too hot) in the transmission resulting in the front pump being unable to build the pressure required to engage the clutch mechanisms. - The fluid paths and allocations are different in "1" vs "D" at start off. - this will require a rebuild of the transmission.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
sorry about not being clear enough on that. i was in a hurry when i wrote it. looks like you inderstood it though. now, about the part where you spoke about the transgo tugger kit. what is it and what do you mean when you say it will fix it for a hours? thanks for the info. good stuff.

Anybody know a good transmission shop near the shreveport/bossier city area?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tugger kit is a valve body rebuild/shift kit all in one.

It will take you a couple hours to install just pay attention to the details... it will come with pieces for inside the transmission & the front pump but you do not have to put them in.

As for transmission shops you're about 1/2 way between BTS (Brian's truck shop) in lead hill AR and Suncoast in Ft. Walton Beach FL. Either one will build you a great transmission.

How many miles are on this transmission.... if in the 150k neighborhood with stock cooling then you are going to be better off just getting the transmission built. I can't recommend strongly enough that you replace and upgrade the coolers when you rebuild the transmission at a minimum a TruCool 4590 or better Tru Cool Max or you can get the stock cooler from ford for a 6.0L with an automatic transmission that will bolt in on existing brackets.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like your too far away from BTS in Lead Hill, AR.

Brian is about the best place you can go to get a 4R100 tranny fixed. :D:D

If you can get the truck there, that is the place to go. If not, he'll ship tranny's too.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
the tugger kit is a valve body rebuild/shift kit all in one.

It will take you a couple hours to install just pay attention to the details... it will come with pieces for inside the transmission & the front pump but you do not have to put them in.

As for transmission shops you're about 1/2 way between BTS (Brian's truck shop) in lead hill AR and Suncoast in Ft. Walton Beach FL. Either one will build you a great transmission.

How many miles are on this transmission.... if in the 150k neighborhood with stock cooling then you are going to be better off just getting the transmission built. I can't recommend strongly enough that you replace and upgrade the coolers when you rebuild the transmission at a minimum a TruCool 4590 or better Tru Cool Max or you can get the stock cooler from ford for a 6.0L with an automatic transmission that will bolt in on existing brackets.

wow. thanks for all the info man. really appreciate it. finding out all this info makes me want to upgrade and get mine rebuilt, even though i havent had any probs yet out of mine. i know ill have to sometime soon though. its got about 200K on it.

hunter441950

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just like bjs said upgrading the cooler will help the life of it when u get it rebuilt. I sell the factory 6.0 coolers to alot of people to upgrade. If you or anybody wont's one let me know. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14