tranny pans

chuck416ex

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
been looking thru part catlogs for deep trans pan. what is the diff betewn a 4r100 in a ford lighting and the 4r100 in my super duty? the price diff is a cupple hundred bucks and it holds a few qts more than stk. any ideas?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been looking thru part catlogs for deep trans pan. what is the diff betewn a 4r100 in a ford lighting and the 4r100 in my super duty? the price diff is a cupple hundred bucks and it holds a few qts more than stk. any ideas?

Just an Opinion ?

You would achieve Lower trans fluid temps, with an additional Trans Fluid Cooler.. than a deeper Trans pan.

Cheaper too.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Just an Opinion ?

You would achieve Lower trans fluid temps, with an additional Trans Fluid Cooler.. than a deeper Trans pan.

Cheaper too.

Cant you get the trans cooler from a 6.0?? I thought I heard somethin like that. Whats usually the normal operating temp for my 99? Thats just normal driving not hauling. Im gonna have to do a trans cooler sometime for mine. Another thing to add to the list. Also a 08 and up rear diff cover.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 tranny cooler is the way to go. Easier than removing and re-installing a tranny pan. A lightning?

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 6.0 tranny cooler. X2 on what Big Joe and Dave said.

Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant you get the trans cooler from a 6.0??

* Yep.. many 99~03'rs do that.

Whats usually the normal operating temp for my 99? Thats just normal driving not hauling.

** At or near engine temps, un loaded. Higher when loaded.. depending on the load.. but never let it get higher that 210..ish. ( the auto trans guyz ?)

Im gonna have to do a trans cooler sometime for mine. Another thing to add to the list. Also a 08 and up rear diff cover.

Yul NEVER git to the Bottom of that list ;):lmao

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There are two tranny pans for the 4R100. One for 2wd and one for 4wd. The difference is the degth of the sump which is deeper for 4wd. That was to help keep the filter intake from coming uncovered in high vehicle angles. The filters are the same except for length of the fluid intake snout. Infact if you get some brand name filters, they will give you a 4wd filter and tell you to cut the snout to a certain length for 2wd.

A 4R100 expert (Brian @ Brian's Truck Shop) once told me that his personal experience showed that stock pans ran cooler than hi-capacity pans. The reason was with less fluid volume, each pint (or quart or gallon, take your pick) of fluid would pass through the cooler more often. As temp's got higher in higher capacity pans, it took longer to cool the fluid off because it took longer to run the higher volume of fluid through the cooler.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I'm with everyone else. Towing in GA in the summer I never had a problem on my old truck (2000 w/ 7.3). I ran a 6.0 cooler with the stock pan. It is what BTS recommended when I put the trans in. The best thing you can do for your transmission is to lock it into a gear if it starts to hunt. All of the shifting will heat up the fluid. Like said above, the Lightning pan will not be deep enough for the 4x4 filter.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have a deep pan and a huge aftermarket trans cooler and have no problem with overheating. I cant remember what brand it is but is f@*#ing big!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58