Tranny problems

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having problems with my truck. It seems that when it is cold that it doesn't want to shift. Once it is warm, it runs fine, but when it is cold, it seems it is all that it can do to shift. Any ideas? It has been properly serviced, and has 96k miles on it, with no other problems, except HPOP.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold trannys will do stuff like that, thats why its good to let them warm up. Or you have a problem! Mine does that same thing, Its a Duramax tho..

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a thought but it sounds to me like you might have a bad seal (s) inside the tranny. Has the tranny ever been real hot? (overheated) Is the tranny slipping when cold? I had the same problem with my old truck and when my tranny guy finally repaired it he came to the conclusion that when cold the seals were not seating properly (since they were hard) but once they warmed up they became flexable again and functioned properly.

Last edited:

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny has never been really hot, that I know of...Of course, I do tow a trailer nearly every day, and I do live in Arizona. So, Hot might be a bit relative. Another curiosity is that if the engine is warm, and the tranny is not, there does not appear to be a problem. Still trying to come up with a solution.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another curiosity is that if the engine is warm, and the tranny is not, there does not appear to be a problem. Still trying to come up with a solution.

Hmm.....You got me wondering now. I still want to say bad seals in the tranny. Just out of curiousity, if you let your truck sit for a day or two how does the tranny function on it's first cold run?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58