Tranny Problems

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
Hi again fella's;
2 years ago I changed tranny filter and put fresh Amsoil in it. Starting today (Sunday) the thing wont shift into 3 gear (auto tranny) until I get the RPM's way up to almost red lineing it. After it shifts its fine. Is there a chance the filter might be clogged or does it sound like the tranny is going ?
Thank you !

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I dont know much about trannys, but that dosnt sound like a filter problem.....

Hope someone w/ more experience can tell you whats wrong :eek:

Best of Luck!
-Matt

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
It was in the 20's. I drove it all day. I checked the fluid level and it was on the line between cold and hot level. I added fluid but it didnt help. It used to shift into 3rd gear around 28-30mph but know I have to go to about 45 and then it shift from 3-4th real quick.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Something is not right. When the trannies on my trucks start shifting irratically they go out about a week later, but they are towing 10,000 pounds every day.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hi again fella's;
2 years ago I changed tranny filter and put fresh Amsoil in it.

This concerns me a little bit, I know you went with Amsoil but two years between tranny filter and fluid change is excessive in my book.

Can you give us a little more info though?

How many miles in that two year period?

What service conditions (hard pulling, tranny temps etc etc) did the unit see?

How does the fluid look/smell?

Do you have an external filter too?

Do you have an auxillary cooler?

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
This concerns me a little bit, I know you went with Amsoil but two years between tranny filter and fluid change is excessive in my book.

Can you give us a little more info though?

How many miles in that two year period?

What service conditions (hard pulling, tranny temps etc etc) did the unit see?

How does the fluid look/smell?

Do you have an external filter too?

Do you have an auxillary cooler?

I'd say it wasnt very many miles, maybe 6-8000 miles. I changed the Complete fluid & filter last on 4-2006. I used it to pull my 7000# race trailer at least once a week in the sumer. The fluid is nice and light red and does not smell at all. I do not have an external filter or cooler. It seems as though it sticks once in a while but if I downshift it to 2nd and back to drive it will shift ok then. I tried that a few times and then it started to shift fine until the next time I park it. Hmmmmmm, confusing the H@#$ out of me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg